Trying people photography

a.rodgers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I havent been doing people photography that much, but i gave it a try last weekend. Tell me what you think
Jenna5.jpg

Jenna4.jpg

Jenna3.jpg

Jenna1.png

sorry about the uneven borders, they are all scanned prints.

#1- I like her smirk, and really wish that flower wasn't there to block her cute expression!

#2- Feel a little bright, but I like it

#3- Seems a little too dark (underexposed is the right term?)

#4- I like it! Is there anyway you can seperate her more from the tree she is in front of? It's like her hair just blends in with the bark.

Keep in mind, I'm just going off as a viewer, not an experienced photographer! I think you really do have a knack for people photography though, you posed her well and I think her personality comes across through the photos.

The last one is wonderful! What film/body/lens etc were you using?

thanks for the quick responses!

i wish the flower wasn't there on the first one too :/ but im using film so i couldn't check the LCD to make sure.

The camera is a Yashica FX-8 body with Tamron SP 35-80mm lens.

#1- I like her smirk, and really wish that flower wasn't there to block her cute expression!

#2- Feel a little bright, but I like it

#3- Seems a little too dark (underexposed is the right term?)

#4- I like it! Is there anyway you can seperate her more from the tree she is in front of? It's like her hair just blends in with the bark.

Keep in mind, I'm just going off as a viewer, not an experienced photographer! I think you really do have a knack for people photography though, you posed her well and I think her personality comes across through the photos.

+1

All in all, I think these are wonderful pictures to be taken with film.
Keep the film rolling!

THANKS for sharing!

Thank you!
One day I will be rich enough to buy an DSLR, but for now the 30 year old film camera will have to do.

First would be nice if there wasnt a weed over her face.

maybe if i was good at photoshop i could take the plant away....but im not.
i really should learn

maybe if i was good at photoshop i could take the plant away....but im not.
i really should learn

What he is saying is you should be taking care of that in the field. When you are framing your shot. All you had to do was move to the left.

Yep, I understand that, but I guess I wasn't looking closely enough while taking the shot, and i had no LCD screen to check afterwards because i shoot film.

i wish the flower wasn't there on the first one too :/ but im using film so i couldn't check the LCD to make sure.

You did check the viewfinder though, right? PS is great but it takes time and this would have taken a whole two seconds to correct at the time of the shoot.

What he is saying is you should be taking care of that in the field. When you are framing your shot. All you had to do was move to the left.

Actually, considering it is not someone's prize winning flower, and assuming this is the framing the photog wants, it would have been easy to just reach out and pull it out of the ground :D

Overall, not bad for a first try. The one thing I would have done differently, except for the plant on the face, is with number two. I would have had her look the other way. It is usually better to have more space in the direction the subject is looking.

I know it wastes film but always shoot doubles, triples, and even more if needed of a shot incase stuff like this (blinking eyes, out of focus lens, etc) happens.

Yep, I understand that, but I guess I wasn't looking closely enough while taking the shot, and i had no LCD screen to check afterwards because i shoot film.

Ok, you posted again while I was posting. :D

I come from the film world so I know what it's like to not have a LCD screen. Actually, I am so not used to having one that I never look at it on my DSLR. We managed to shoot wonderful photos for a 100 years without one so I'm sure you can do it too.

You just have to learn to pay attention to details. And believe me a lot of people don't. No big deal so long as you learn to do it eventually.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back