Trying some new editing “skills”

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been plowing through some Creative Live courses since my Creator Pass is only good through end of November and I have a long list of saved courses to get through. All of the editing tips in these classes are Lightroom techniques and as most of you know I don’t use Lightroom but I’m trying to translate them over to my affinity photo app. Not sure if I’ve quite got the hang of the layering/fill technique. Here’s a go at a sunset. Original was over exposed and totally washed out. This is better but again may have gone too far...

The light! by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Not bad! It does feel like the yellows might be a little too prominent, but a good save.

I agree with tirediron about the yellows, but I do like the rest of what you've done. Kudos for trying to improve your editing skills!

Not bad! It does feel like the yellows might be a little too prominent, but a good save.

I agree with tirediron about the yellows, but I do like the rest of what you've done. Kudos for trying to improve your editing skills!

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I may try to tone those yellows down a smidge.

A Little too much yellow, yes. But I have Another point, and that has nothing to do with the processing itself. It is about the very thin line of water between the poles and land. It distracts my view from the rest of the image.

A Little too much yellow, yes. But I have Another point, and that has nothing to do with the processing itself. It is about the very thin line of water between the poles and land. It distracts my view from the rest of the image.

Yes! I totally agree. I didn’t notice it when I took the photo but it bothers me as well. I would like to have some more separation there with more water showing above the tops.

Extremely difficult to widen that thin space in post processing… :aiwebs_016:
I do like the sunshine on the nearest stones. Or maybe you have brightened them?

Extremely difficult to widen that thin space in post processing… :aiwebs_016:
I do like the sunshine on the nearest stones. Or maybe you have brightened them?

Sort of a reverse vignette gone awry. There was some vignetting that I was trying to counteract. I guess we can add that to the Too Far column.

Try adding a little dull orange to the yellow bright spots. Love Creative Live. I didn't know you can purchase a pass. I usually watch tutorials during the long winter days. I bought subscriptions to Lynda.com for a month or two at a time.

Try adding a little dull orange to the yellow bright spots. Love Creative Live. I didn't know you can purchase a pass. I usually watch tutorials during the long winter days. I bought subscriptions to Lynda.com for a month or two at a time.

I’ll give that a try.

The Creator Pass is relatively new. It’s about the same cost as Lynda or Kelby but it’s $299/annual instead of $25/monthly so you have to commit. I signed up last year right around Black Friday because it was $50 off so only $21/month. I had already identified $400+ worth of classes I was interested in so it seemed a good move. Then I got in a funk over the winter and did nada! Been trying to catch up. I’ve definitely watched more than $300 worth. There are a few classes excluded so be aware of that.

I like it, it has more of an artistic stylish flair about it, kind of reminds me of an old travel slide too. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back