Trying something new...

jbcal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I'm trying something new and want your feedback, please!

Attachments

• $tulip_bw.jpg
    $tulip_bw.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 119
The edge of the original flower head is showing very slightly on the bottom left and the B+W could use a bit more contrast for my tastes but a pretty good first attempt, a helluva lot better than mine. :)

+1 on the B&W contrast...but nice sharp pic

um...how do you do that?

I use PS Elements. I was able to split the tulip and the background into two layers. Then, the background I changed to black and white and then saved the image. I'm going to work on the contrast as others have mentioned. I have yet to have a good eye for contrast and brightness.

thanks so much. i guess i have to work on it a bit as well because i thought it looked great

A tip I picked up is don't be afraid to really crank the contrast when converting to mono, you really want to make the most of the detail. You can always compensate slightly with the brightness or fill light if needs be.

I'm not sure which process you're using. There are several ways.

For Antoinette's benefit, here's the address to the tutorial page on my website that explains the process I use and teach: http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/colorizing.html

Actually I found the contrast to be fine on your B&W. But one tip to be aware of: whenever you do a color to B&W conversion (whatever method you choose), it's a good idea to re-check the Levels on the B&W. It sometimes needs to be readjusted.

Some people think this process - I call it "Colorizing" or "Selective Color" - has become trite and overused. But when well done it can be a very nice creative device.

I have an entire collection of what I've named "Escapes" on my Cafepress site. (Address in sig below) These are all flowers. And at least a part of each colored segment appears to be actually escaping the frame. You might find them interesting.

That came out really nicely. I really need to try one of these myself. Very cool.

I'm not sure which process you're using. There are several ways.

For Antoinette's benefit, here's the address to the tutorial page on my website that explains the process I use and teach: http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/colorizing.html

Actually I found the contrast to be fine on your B&W. But one tip to be aware of: whenever you do a color to B&W conversion (whatever method you choose), it's a good idea to re-check the Levels on the B&W. It sometimes needs to be readjusted.

Some people think this process - I call it "Colorizing" or "Selective Color" - has become trite and overused. But when well done it can be a very nice creative device.

I have an entire collection of what I've named "Escapes" on my Cafepress site. (Address in sig below) These are all flowers. And at least a part of each colored segment appears to be actually escaping the frame. You might find them interesting.

I have been using your " Six Steps to Image Management Using Adobe Photoshop". It has been very helpful. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back