Trying to decide on a new Nikon specifically for sports shooting...opinions?

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am soon going to be upgrading my D80 to a camera that is better for sports and has less digital noise. I also shoot weddings and portraits but my main focus is sports.

I do not have any full frame lenses, but I know that DX lenses can be used on full frame sensor cameras. I will eventually upgrade to full frame lens set, but one thing at a time. Lol

I am looking to spend around $1500 for just the body.

Here are the following bodies I have been thinking about.

D7000 - I have wanted this since it was introduced, however yesterday was speaking with a photographer and he was not overly impressed with it, has had to send it back to Nikon for repairs multiple times. I know his is just one opinion, what are some of your opinions?

D300 or D300s - These are a little outdated now thanks to the D700 and D800, but I can't afford either of those, and have heard that they are really fast cameras that are great for sports shooting.

So those are the two that I have been thinking about, if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know! I have been reading up on reviews on Amazon.com and such, but the reviews are relatively good for both cameras, so they aren't helping!

Save your money and go for a better fast long lens.....

Even with a fast lens the digital noise is disgusting. I used a 70-200 2.8 VR lens recently with the D80, not even in low light, was at ISO 200-400 and has to do some pretty harsh noise reduction. I would love to get a fast lens as well, but at this point, I need something with low noise too. I shoot concerts and bands as well which require high ISO. The photos with the D80 become almost unrecognizable because of high ISO noise.

Even with a fast lens the digital noise is disgusting. I used a 70-200 2.8 VR lens recently with the D80, not even in low light, was at ISO 200-400 and has to do some pretty harsh noise reduction. I would love to get a fast lens as well, but at this point, I need something with low noise too. I shoot concerts and bands as well which require high ISO. The photos with the D80 become almost unrecognizable because of high ISO noise.

I know the d80 is no spring chicken, but If you're doing 'harsh noise reduction' at iso 200-400, then something's wrong with your camera.

That said, I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade from that camera. I disagree about your opinions on the d300 though. Low light capabilities might not be quite as good as the d700, but it's hardly outdated..

I know the d80 is no spring chicken, but If you're doing 'harsh noise reduction' at iso 200-400, then something's wrong with your camera.

That said, I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade from that camera. I disagree about your opinions on the d300 though. Low light capabilities might not be quite as good as the d700, but it's hardly outdated..

same also a used d300 will go for about the same as a used or brand new d7000, the two are pretty close. d300 has pretty kick ass build quality and is built like a pro camera, also better fps. It is by no means outdated, the other thing i would recommend is possibly trying to get a used d700?

D700 is a very nice camera, unfortunately everything comes with a price tag, especially if it's wanting to cover sports correctly. I suppose it really all comes down to the ability to make enough money back to justify buying the best gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back