Honestly, find yourself before you worry about going pro.
A good photographer has all of the following:
-Unique personality that would give the clients a reason to come back
-Photos that are as expressive as you are
-A style that regardless of the challenge remains true to the artist
This all sounds reasonably simple, however I can promise you that none of this will stay the same for you. It is a constant struggle and takes a lot of work.
For me, I actually have an image consultant that helps me dress myself. This sounds silly but when someone is looking to hire me they get a full package, I have a look that is very unique to me and that sets me apart from every other person out there. Granted I don't pay the image consultant because they owe me for when I shot for them for free (always plan ahead I say ^_-). As far as personality, I work very hard but I am also very outgoing and joke around a lot. I also have a business plan that dictates how to go through every meeting with a potential client, and actually my girlfriend didn't know about this until last night when she happened to read it. She looked at me and just said, "Wow, I'm so proud of you. I never even realized how much went into this."
There is a lot that goes into going pro, but bite off what you can chew first. If you still need to improve your photography than worry about that. There is a point where you are good enough to start getting paid gigs, and at this point you better have your business plan ready and waiting for you because otherwise you will get yourself into situations and have to quite literally shoot from the hip with what to do.
I'm going through the process currently of getting myself out there as a pro-photographer. I'm building a portfolio that accentuates my style and preference of work, and it isn't easy. I haven't made a single dollar yet and I have much more to spend before I am close to done :x It will be about a year before I am making enough to even consider quitting my other two jobs, and I have been pushing hard to finish this up.
In closing, never do work for free. Always get something you want for the work you do. This includes friends and family, at the least require them to feed you, do your laundry, something silly but let them know that you are not their slave and require to be paid just as much as anyone else that they pay. This is something that many new photographers do and end up working so hard for no exposure and no pay.