Trying to get natural light

c3po99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently purchased a cheap smith victor light kit. They are 2 500watt bulbs with white umbrellas. Currently attempting boudoir shots of the wife. However the lights are really bright. So I went back to my local camera store and asked them what they recommend. They said a reflector umbrella. So I got 2 of them but haven't gotten a chance to try them out.

Aside from that what would you guys recommend to get a natural soft light look without real natural light? Maybe a lower watt bulb? A hand held diffuser? Or will the reflector umbrellas work just fine with the 500watt bulbs?

Welcome to the forum.

Lets take a step back. Why are you finding the lights too bright? Do you not know how to control exposure with your camera by adjusting the shutter speed, aperture and ISO?

Man wow I can't believe they sold you more umbrellas as "the solution"

Maybe try this, set the cam to manual. With studio lights try the ISO at 100 or 200 (however low it goes with your cam). Try shutter speed anywhere from 125-200. Then with the cam set that way, play with the aperture and try between f11 and f22. As you stop down towards the 22 side you'll see the pics get dimmer and dimmer.

Actually, since the lights seem to be of the continuous variety, I'd suggest using a larger aperture, something like F5.6 to F8 and increasing the shutter speed as required, to get proper exposure.

Yes i do. couldn't tell you right now what i had the setting at once i got the right exposure w/out looking at the raws. but just seemed very "studio" like. what i'm asking is if there is a way to soften the light to look more natural. or maybe i'm placing the lights wrong.

Welcome to the forum.

Lets take a step back. Why are you finding the lights too bright? Do you not know how to control exposure with your camera by adjusting the shutter speed, aperture and ISO?

Once you get you exposure worked out, then it's time to work on the softness issue. Try bringing the umbrellas as close as possible to you model to create a larger , therefore softer light source (although brightness will increase but you know how to fix that) Unfortunately since these are continuous lights, that will mean a hot model, but then again boudoir is all about a hot model

To soften more, place diffuser panels between Lights and model

To make your light softer move it CLOSER to the subject. To get harsher lighting move it further from your subject.

and to clarify one thing, a shoot through umbrella can be(materials being equal) brighter than a Reflector umbrella because the light travels a shorter distance - Inverse Square

well thank you for the tips guys. i didn't know that moving the light closer would soften the light. i'll try these tips out and let you know my outcome. thanks again!

oh one more thing. should i get lower wattage bulbs? the 500watt aside of not being very energy efficient are hot. i've heard that they make lower wattage bulbs that output to say 200watts or higher. any tips on that?

Yes i do. couldn't tell you right now what i had the setting at once i got the right exposure w/out looking at the raws. but just seemed very "studio" like. what i'm asking is if there is a way to soften the light to look more natural. or maybe i'm placing the lights wrong.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, the characteristic that we often associate with nice 'natural' lighting, is softness. For example, a large window will usually give you nice soft natural light. As mentioned, the key to getting light to be softer, has to do with the relative size of the light source compared to the subject. So while an umbrella will certainly increase the size (thus softness) over a bare light head, it's still going to be smaller than a large window. As mentioned (again) moving the light closer to the subject will also help to make the light softer.

I'd suggest starting out with only one light. Again, this can help with the goal of more 'natural' looking light (the most natural lighting being one light source (the sun)). Also, this should lead to more artistic boudoir, as it will give you light, but also leave shadow, which will help to convey form & texture. If you just use two lights, one on either side, you'll likely end up with flat (boring) light...which can work for some types of photography, but it's not something I'd use for boudoir.

So start with one light, put it to the side and above your model. I don't know if you have any adjustment on the power of the light, but either way, work to get proper exposure for the lit side of your model, letting the other side get dark. (you may have to turn off/block any other sources of light).

Play around with the light position and poses from there. If you need to have some detail in the shadow areas, that's where fill light comes in. Just using another light of the same strength, probably won't do (unless you can adjust it), so I'd suggest keeping to one light and using something as a reflector, to bounce some of the light back into the shadows as needed.

thanks! again i'll let you guys know what the outcome was.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, the characteristic that we often associate with nice 'natural' lighting, is softness. For example, a large window will usually give you nice soft natural light. As mentioned, the key to getting light to be softer, has to do with the relative size of the light source compared to the subject. So while an umbrella will certainly increase the size (thus softness) over a bare light head, it's still going to be smaller than a large window. As mentioned (again) moving the light closer to the subject will also help to make the light softer.

I'd suggest starting out with only one light. Again, this can help with the goal of more 'natural' looking light (the most natural lighting being one light source (the sun)). Also, this should lead to more artistic boudoir, as it will give you light, but also leave shadow, which will help to convey form & texture. If you just use two lights, one on either side, you'll likely end up with flat (boring) light...which can work for some types of photography, but it's not something I'd use for boudoir.

So start with one light, put it to the side and above your model. I don't know if you have any adjustment on the power of the light, but either way, work to get proper exposure for the lit side of your model, letting the other side get dark. (you may have to turn off/block any other sources of light).

Play around with the light position and poses from there. If you need to have some detail in the shadow areas, that's where fill light comes in. Just using another light of the same strength, probably won't do (unless you can adjust it), so I'd suggest keeping to one light and using something as a reflector, to bounce some of the light back into the shadows as needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back