Trying to get the best portraits I can..

I'm sorry to say it, but good portrait photography requires an SLR, a decent lens, and external lights in almost all cases. An entry level body and a 50mm F1.8 would improve a lot of these photos tremendously. An umbrella or two would improve them even more. Some of them are good, and many have great potential, however if you are serious about portrait photography, I would look into a DSLR and lighting kit. Its not as expensive as you think it is.

Nikon D50: $250
50mm F1.8: $100
A manual strobe: $30

$380 could drastically improve the aesthetics of your portrait photography. I would encourage you to look into it.

I will give it one more shot with the current camera. I don't plan on becoming a photographer, I am more into design. Photo is just something I enjoy so I don't think I need to spend money on another camera right now. But thanks for the tips. :)

If I can't get better pictures we will probably hire someone who can but I'd at least like to see how far I can push it. Maybe I need to edit them more in photoshop..

I doubt photoshop will achieve the affect you are looking for. The headshots you posted from other photographers are professionally lit, which means multiple off camera flashes, softboxes, umbrellas, and wireless triggers, not to mention a quality lens.

Hi,

I have been thinking about this, and I really do like photography. I would like to be able to help my sister and take my own photos for future projects I will be working on. I know for my senior project I will want a good camera to take pictures with.

I looked up the Nikon D50 you listed but I don't see it for that price.

Nikon D50 - Google Product Search

Google has it for $589 and $831. It also has less MP than my current point and shoot. Is that the best camera you can recommend for me and what I am trying to accomplish?

Thanks. =)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,

Why would it be cheaper here?
Stop & Shop Digital

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Digital Camera (Body Only) |Need4Digital

Besides the body, I would just need a 50mm F1.8 and a manual strobe? To take really well portraits? Would I need an umbrella if I am shooting outside? I would just carry it and set it up in a good spot to bounce the light onto my model, correct?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly.

Edit: wouldn't it make sense to buy it from one of those sites for cheaper and then get the 50mm F1.8 lens for it? The one on ebay has a different lens I might not need.

Last edited:
Stay FAR FAR away from both those sites, the first site has horrible ratings at resellerratings.com and the second doesnt have a rating but from the look of it seems to be the same. The 50mm 1.8 should work well for portraits, you might wanna pick up an 85mm 1.8 or 1.4 for headshots, A manual strobe would be fine.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Stop_and_Shop_Digital

So if I buy the one on ebay, I would have to buy another lens as well? Or would the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G AFS DX lens be able to take good portraits?

Edit: That one ends in 2 hours and I know the price will go up. If it goes up to high, I could just get a newer camera for the price. :/

It depends on your lighting situation, if your in good lighting the 18-55 should do ok if you stop it down to f/8 or f/11. If you want to get one on ebay you can always fine a body only one and buy a 50mm seperate.

I see what you mean, thanks for all your help! :)

ya that does sound like the thing you need to do- buy the body only and get a nifty fifty.

you will be highly satisfied with the nikon d80 over your p&s

ya that does sound like the thing you need to do- buy the body only and get a nifty fifty.

you will be highly satisfied with the nikon d80 over your p&s

That sounds great. My friend has the d80 and I am going to test it tomorrow. I will then put my p&s up for sale..the thing is that we got a warranty with it from bestbuy. I am not sure if you are able to give the warranty with the person who buys the camera for me or if it is just thrown out..

I think, usually the warranty is for original owner only, but I'm not positive about that, you might want to go in or call and talk to someone from bestbuy about it.

Most reactions

Back