Trying to learn about bohek

Derrel I get it. I guess I'm trying to learn how to use the different aperture settings on this camera. I haven't created any B-O-K-E-H at all yet!

Well, if you have ANY out of focus areas in your photographs, then you HAVE created "bokeh".

Try photographing a person standing at four to six feet from the camera, with a background that is quite far behind them...at almost any aperture, I guarantee you, there will be bokeh.

As shown by Big Mike's diagram the focal length of the lens is a huge factor is how much of the background is out of focus. And as mentioned distance from subject is a huge factor. For instance my macro shots are at f/16 to f/18 but the background is blurred because I am inches away from the subject.

Jerry

So it's the focus point distance that is making the DoF so shallow and the background blurred, not the lens focal length.

The diagram Mike shows is somewhat misleading, as would almost any DOF diagram.

In the middle segment of the diagram Mike posted the 3 figures (people) would be different sizes in the frame of the photo, from being differnt distances from the lens.

In the bottom segment of the diagram Mike posted the 3 figures would be different sizes in the frame of the photo, from using different focal length lenses with the figues at the same distance from the camera.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back