trying to replicate 3 picstures

shayvidas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
all from the same amazing photoshot :

the artist promised the pictures are not edited, not photoshop'd and just out of the camera.

first one:
http://www.pitria.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/katerina-plotnikova-photography-9.jpg

i guess it's pretty simple, is it ? i mean is there somthing special i need to know to replicate this one ?
how does this look so fairy tale ? what's the secret ?

Second One:
http://www.pitria.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/katerina-plotnikova-photography-17.jpg

how on earth can you get that light rays and still have her so clearlly ? and again achive this fairy tale effect, ?
i figure longer shatter will take the fog, and rays in , but then how is she so clear ?

Third One:
http://www.pitria.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/katerina-plotnikova-photography-3.jpg

i undertand that to get the backgrond soo blured, the model needs to be in some distance from it, then faster shutter, and wide aperature, then zoom in on her ?
am i right ?
if that is the case how come in this picture > http://www.pitria.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/katerina-plotnikova-photography-10.jpg
the backround is blured while is like, really close to the models ?

In my opinion, the common denominator in each of the photos is a fairly thin Depth Of Field (DOF), two hopefully-harmless snakes, and three beautiful women.

To get a thin DOF, what is typically needed is a wide aperture of f1.2 to f2.8 and an appropriate distance from the subject to get the 'thickness' (aka, depth) of the plane of acceptable focus. The appropriate distance varies based on camera and lens focal length. Check out the DOF calculator below using your camera gear to find out what's needed for about 12" DOF.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

The thin DOF also contributes to the blurred background (and foreground in the last image). The further back (or forward) of the plane of acceptable focus increase the blurriness of the background. How pleasing or beautiful or smooth the blurred background is (bokeh) is largely dependent upon the design of the lens used. My personal favorite 'bokeh' lenses are the 135 f2L and 80-200 f2.8L (magic drainpipe), both wide open or close to it. They're also my fastest and longest focal length lenses.

As for shot #2, the photographer was either extremely lucky to get the fog and the sun rays, or else he Photoshopped them in. I'll put my money on Photoshop. My luck with stoplights and lottery tickets proves the only luck I get is bad luck.

As for the beautiful women and snakes...you're on your own to get those!

$Festival of the Giving Trees 2013-688.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to think that these images have at least been through Lr, or she's taking the time to get the picture style set up right for what she's shooting, because she's getting very saturated colors and quite a bit of sharpness; moreso than I'd expect straight out of the camera with the default settings.

The first shot, good light. Period. A large reflector just out of frame to push soft light right onto the model. Right time of day, good color coordination. Everything in that image is coordinated, texture, color, dress style, model, prop.

Number two, if there is no smoke/fog between the camera and model the model will be crisp. If they are using a smoke machine they'll have a small bit of control over that. Again it comes down to the shot being planned thoroughly in advance. The location, model, props, atmospherics (smoke, fog, rain), and light.

Number three, long, fast glass. A 135 f/2 on a full frame camera will do that easily. Even an 85mm on a full frame camera at f/2 will do that.

Number four, same as number three. Fast glass. :cool: Number four has certainly been color toned. Those colors are not natural. ;)

In my opinion, the common denominator in each of the photos is a fairly thin Depth Of Field (DOF), two hopefully-harmless snakes, and three beautiful women.

To get a thin DOF, what is typically needed is a wide aperture of f1.2 to f2.8 and an appropriate distance from the subject to get the 'thickness' (aka, depth) of the plane of acceptable focus. The appropriate distance varies based on camera and lens focal length. Check out the DOF calculator below using your camera gear to find out what's needed for about 12" DOF.

The thin DOF also contributes to the blurred background (and foreground in the last image). The further back (or forward) of the plane of acceptable focus increase the blurriness of the background. How pleasing or beautiful or smooth the blurred background is (bokeh) is largely dependent upon the design of the lens used. My personal favorite 'bokeh' lenses are the 135 f2L and 80-200 f2.8L (magic drainpipe), both wide open or close to it. They're also my fastest and longest focal length lenses.

As for shot #2, the photographer was either extremely lucky to get the fog and the sun rays, or else he Photoshopped them in. I'll put my money on Photoshop. My luck with stoplights and lottery tickets proves the only luck I get is bad luck.

View attachment 73227

thank you soo much :)
i'm allways amazed at how people are soo nice in this forum !!! i never met a grop of so nice people .. in my life they are uaualy don't want to help each other..
amm
i didn't understood the calculator..
i have nikon d5100, and a 18-105 nikon lense,
does that mean that in order to get the thin DOF of 12" i need to be around 4.5 meters away ?

amm and i didn't understood about the
bokeh lense, is it just a lens that blurs the background ?

again thank you soo much !!!
you are a great people !!!!

I'd be inclined to think that these images have at least been through Lr, or she's taking the time to get the picture style set up right for what she's shooting, because she's getting very saturated colors and quite a bit of sharpness; moreso than I'd expect straight out of the camera with the default settings.

The first shot, good light. Period. A large reflector just out of frame to push soft light right onto the model. Right time of day, good color coordination. Everything in that image is coordinated, texture, color, dress style, model, prop.

Number two, if there is no smoke/fog between the camera and model the model will be crisp. If they are using a smoke machine they'll have a small bit of control over that. Again it comes down to the shot being planned thoroughly in advance. The location, model, props, atmospherics (smoke, fog, rain), and light.

Number three, long, fast glass. A 135 f/2 on a full frame camera will do that easily. Even an 85mm on a full frame camera at f/2 will do that.

Number four, same as number three. Fast glass. :cool: Number four has certainly been color toned. Those colors are not natural. ;)

do you think they have a moke machine ?
that would mean it's a really havy havy photosession, i don't think it's somthing like that, maybe just a photographer and a friend or so no ?
you think it's that like with a studio and all ?

amm what do you mean fast glass ?

and also you think in the end she used photoshooped ?
she stated clearly that the photos was not touched at all between the camera and what we are seeing

View attachment 73227

i'm allways amazed at how people are soo nice in this forum !!! i never met a grop of so nice people .. in my life they are uaualy don't want to help each other..
amm
does that mean that in order to get the thin DOF of 12" i need to be around 4.5 meters away ?

Sorry but you will not get thoses results with that lens

View attachment 73227

amm

Sorry but you will not get thoses results with that lens

amm so what lense should i get ? for my nikon d5100 ? that is not like super expensive.. ?

1. shoot at a weird angle. overcast day. narrow DOF + blur tool. color toning.
2. early morning. fog machine. incredibly boring.
3. long lens. narrow dof. looks like a large reflector to fill her left side. overcast day.

3. long lens. narrow dof. looks like a large reflector to fill her left side. overcast day.

how do you know the third one is with a long lens ?

how do you know the third one is with a long lens ?

Experience...

When she says they not photoshop'd all she means is the animals are in the shots for real, but im sure these have been enhanced in Photoshop

When she says they not photoshop'd all she means is the animals are in the shots for real, but im sure these have been enhanced in Photoshop
I have to agree; #2 especially; given the differences between the background and the girl/birdhouse, I would be a lot of Gary's money that is a composite image.

when people say things aren't photoshopped, that means they are.

But I don't believe #2 is a composite.

Last edited:

when people say things aren't photoshopped, that means they are.

EXACTLY

Like this picture.....

It's not photoshoped
$13523055513_5c74e5a1bd_c.jpg

that's not what my beard looks like; she's much prettier and actually convincing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back