trying to support wife's new hobby, and a pic

Things are becoming clearer, this would explain why the cameras on the sidelines of sporting events have a lens the size of a dinner plate, and a price to match. Looking at the cannon website, there aren't many alternatives unless I'm going to spend three times the money; which I'm not willing to do unless she remains interested over a slightly longer period of time. She is, of course, free to get whatever she wants, but typically she won't buy much for herself.

You should consider third party lenses. Biggest brands: sigma, tokina and tamron. Generally speaking, optical quality isn't the best, but they aren't poor lenses. We live in 2011 after all. Good lenses to get started.

A decent circular polarizing filter would be a pretty good addition to her kit, especially if she wants to shoot photos near water (pool,lake,beach). Hoya is "okay", Tiffen is "okay", and I understand the need to stay in the $50 price range. One option is to find a dealer that sells USED filters...the internet has a lot of research capability. There are a select, handful of dealers that specialize in filters. A polarizing filter leads to much richer, deeper, more-saturated color on plants and flowers.

She might enjoy the Cokin filter system; it is easy to use, affordable, and easily modifies to many different lenses. The quality is good enough for most uses, and it's easy to see the results when shooting digitally.

As for the 270EX flash...ehhh...I dunno about that. I've never,ever been impressed with the lowest-end flashes from the camera makers. They often lack the degree of control that a hobby photographer wants and needs to have; I think you might be better off to get a higher-end model from a third-party manufacturer, like Sigma. More features in the Sigma, more control. One thing you'll hopefully find out about before you go broke supporting this new hobby, is that places like KEH.com exist, and there is PLENTY of equipment bought,not used, and then traded in by hobby shooters--and the savings are large.

Have you considered seeing if she'd be interested in a local photography class?

A flash seems like a good addition to her kit. Depending on her photography, a polarizer might not get used very often. It might be good to wait on getting filters after you figure what lenses she will want, because if you buy a filter and then buy a new lens with a larger lens it won't work without an adapter and potential vignetting. You can always take a bigger filter and put an adapter to attach it to a smaller lens though.

I have the 55-250 lens and have gotten some good pictures with it. Target recently ran an in store only sale on the lens for 150 so call your local store. On the flip side lenses is the moat bang for your buck so the l series 70-200mm is a great lens and the cheapest in top quality line.

As for the 270EX flash...ehhh...I dunno about that.

Yeah, pretty under powered. Guide number (in simple terms, how far the flash will throw light) is pretty low. Also, as mentioned, lacking in functionality. If ​she stays with the hobby, an upgrade to the 430 or 580 would be a good thing. Or, to save some money, as Derrel suggested, a third party flash.

I have to be careful, I don't want to dump a ton of money until I know she's genuinely interested in photography so we don't have 4G tied up in a camera that only gets used to take family pictures after the novelty wares off. On the other end of that argument, I want her to have appropriate tools to let her explore the capabilities of the equipment and see some real results, so I figured a lens with some zoom and she actually mentioned a better flash. It was after I started to look around that I learned what a polarizing filter was and thought it would be a good idea with a very large amount of her pictures being in the water under the beating sun.
If its like any of the things I like to do, quality v. money is not a linear relationship, so I'd like to be right on the edge of where the function makes a drastic turn up; so I guess I'm asking if the lens, flash and a B&W 66-026594 polarizing filter for under $480 going to provide good enough quality and options to let her explore, or are there much better products for the same money or a modest increase (lets say 20%).

Any entry level body with kit lens is more than enough for a beginner to learn with, and get quite a ways down the road with. Outstanding results can be obtained with entry level gear once you know how. So, I would recommend a book to go along with your purchase. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. If she finds getting thru the book too challenging, then this isn't a hobby for her. What's in the book is essential, fundamental knowledge. No two ways about it. It will serve her better than a filter. Cheaper, too.

A book is a great suggestion.

Understanding Exopsure, as mentioned above, has great reviews. I've never read it personally, but I've heard alot of great things about it.

Another book, that I have read, and would reccomend, is The Moment it Clicks, by Joe Mcnally. It's slightly more advanced, but it taught me alot. Understanding exposure, from what I've heard, is alot like a camera manual. Lots of great information, but boring and hard to digest. The Moment it Clicks on the other hand, has slightly less technical information, but it is a very entertaining book to read. Joe is an outstanding author (and a better photographer) who knows how to make his readers laugh. \

As far as equipment, yes, the stuff you mentioned has it's limitations, as others have pointed out. But it will take your wife months, if not years, to actually reach a point where she needs higher end stuff. I shot with my Nikon D40, and the Nikon equivalents of the same gear you are mentioning, for about 2 years before I finally reached a point where I NEEDED better equipment to advance my skill set.

I too, reccomend that you skip the filter. Yes, it could help an experienced photographer get better photos, but in all honesty for a beginner, it's just one more variable to have to worry about and adjust, and trust me, there are already enough of them built into the camera. More variables to deal with is a very bad thing when you are just starting out. Once she understands photography better, then the filter will be a good addition to her camera bag.

but in all honesty for a beginner, it's just one more variable to have to worry about and adjust, and trust me, there are already enough of them built into the camera. More variables to deal with is a very bad thing when you are just starting out.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Ok, sounds good. I was starting to have second thoughts about the lens and the flash because it seemed like the next step up would double the price. I'm going to let her give those a shot and see how it goes. I'll skip the filter for now, I didn't know it was a variable (I thought it was snap it on and no more glare from reflections off water etc.). I'll let her get the book, she loves to read and maybe she can buy the book(s) for her iPad. Thanks for all the input from every one, it's much appreciated.

Ok, sounds good. I was starting to have second thoughts about the lens and the flash because it seemed like the next step up would double the price. I'm going to let her give those a shot and see how it goes. I'll skip the filter for now, I didn't know it was a variable (I thought it was snap it on and no more glare from reflections off water etc.). I'll let her get the book, she loves to read and maybe she can buy the book(s) for her iPad. Thanks for all the input from every one, it's much appreciated.

Glad we could help.

To advance on the filter, for one you'd have to learn when and when not to use it, which isn't as easy as it sounds. For two, a CPL filter requires that you rotate it on the front of the lens until it gives you the effect your looking for. Which, when you're trying to deal with getting the exposure, focus, composition, and timing right, just makes it another variable. Just figured I'd give a quick explanation. Good luck to your wife, and it would be cool to have her join TPF so we can give her a hand with the learning process.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back