trying to travel light - which lens to bring?

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
going to costa rica for a few months, I will have a couple backpacks and will mostly be in one location but i still dont want to bring any more expensive gear than i have to in order to make for some good photography.

canon t2i (& backpacking tripod)

-canon 18-55 kit lens
-canon 50mm 1.8
-canon 75-300mm
-sigma 10-20mm

id really like to take only 2 lenses, one on the body and one other. Maybe just the kit lens and the 50mm? The ultra wide would be sweet but i also figure its nothing a panoramic stitching couldnt manage either if i really wanted. I have also toyed with the idea of selling off the ultra wide sigma 10-20, and the kit lens and pick up a sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and making it the only lens i bring.

thoughts?

There is no right or wrong answer here...it's completely up to you. Personally, I'd find a way to bring it all.

I love landscape photography, especially with a really wide lens, and Costa Rica is a beautiful place for landscapes. So I'd keep the 10-20mm.
Stitching is OK, but it's not the same.
If you want to shoot wildlife, you'll probably want the telephoto.
If you want a good lens for just walking around, shooting abstract stuff or people, then the 50mm might be best.
For a simple walk around zoom lens, the range of 18-55mm is pretty good....but if you have those other lenses, you may not need this one.

I know that 'expensive' is a relative term, but you may find (sooner or later) that your current gear really isn't all that expensive. If you were to sell all of it, what would you get...a little over $1000 maybe? Getting great shots of your time in Costa Rica may be worth A LOT more than that, to you personally...especially as time goes by.
It would be a shame if, 10 years from now, you looked back and wished that you had taken more gear and got more/better photos.

Also, look into having your gear insured. It may already be covered if you have home owner's insurance. That way, you'll have some peace of mind that you won't be completely out of pocket if you loose you gear.

Ditch the prime and ultrawide, you have it covered. Bring the 18-55 and the tele. The ultra wide wont buy you that much more, the tele will let you capture the squirrel monkeys. I find that while on vaca, I don't want to fumble with changing lenses, nor do I want to carry them around. Most likely, you'll keep the 18-55 on most of the time. At least I do (well, comparable lens anyway)

Unless the purpose of your trip is TO photograph, i find its a delicate balance between focusing on the lenses/camera, and focusing on the beauty if your surroundings outside the viewfinder. On vaca, I want to have good shots and remember, but I have to force myself to live in the present too; not just the future.

I'd have to take 3. The prime, the 18-55 and the 75-300. The prime is tiny enough to stuff anywhere.

canon t2i (& backpacking tripod)

-canon 18-55 kit lens
-canon 50mm 1.8
-canon 75-300mm
-sigma 10-20mm
You're packing light. You can stuff lenses in something other than a camera bag. My last trip to Africa I carried two bodies, the Nikon Holy Trinity and 3 primes. I usually carry the full arsenal when I go on vacation in the mountains in October. Unfortunately, I've been nursing some back issues the last month or so, which will eliminate the Nikon gear. I guess that it's good that I bought into the micro 4/3 format also.

Mods:
If you're reading this, then you will see another mention of the m4/3 format. Still plugging for that sub-forum to be introduced here on TPF.

Most reactions

Back