Turned into senior portraits

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My sister in law? (brothers wifes sister) wanted some photos done and her mom ended up saying she was going to use these for her senior portraits since they couldn't afford to have any done. Forgot my grey card so Im not 100% on the white balance and all that but aside from that I would love advice on improving. She has a few friends wanting to do photos (paid) and I want to make sure I can really nail it so everyone is happy.

Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

I should have another 2 or so with a different outfit and location tonight or tomorrow. She did fairly well considering shes never been in front of a camera. Had to keep telling her to relax her hands hahaha

If it makes any difference, cloudy day, Nikon D600, 85mm lens. Typically in the f2.8 range

I think you did a good job. However, in the third pic there is a piece of grass going across the model right under her chin. I would clone out that whole piece. I'm not wild about the dead center composition in several of them and I think that the second one could benefit from just a little more head room. That is just my opinion...ymmv

I tried so hard to clone that haha and failed miserably. There was a second one that went up into her face I was able to remove luckily. I think the one across the chin is to thick or maybe Im not using the right combination of tools or I am being impatient.

#3 is my pick of the bunch here. (pose and frame are good, the foreground grass notwithstanding)

#1 is cropped a bit tight. If these are ever to be framed and hung, (most are, I think) you need to leave more space around your subject.

Thank you for the input!

The grass stalk in #3 should be do-able but, yes, it will require patience to get it right. I think it would be worth the effort. If it doesn't work it will be good experience. :D

Here's my attempt using a screen capture -it took about 15 -20 mins. Not perfect.
Image2.jpg

Last edited:
Ill give it another go this evening and post up

I would think about checking/rechecking the hair and clothing (having the young woman adjust as needed) since as they move that hair moves. The elastic tops/dresses like this especially off the shoulder can get wopperjawed rather easily, so then you start to lose the nice curve of the neckline and it looks lopsided.

I'm not sure I like the depth of field being so narrow that the necklace is out of focus. I think she looks lovely in the 2nd and 4th photos, but to me #3 is the least flattering shot from that angle.

shallow portrait DOF strikes again!
definitely would have stopped the lens down a bit on #1.
I know, I know...some people like that shallow DOF look....so this is just a personal thang... My opinion only.
but... I just find it annoying when the subjects face is in focus, and the rest is not. in the case of #1, you have part of the necklace, rear flowers, hair, shoulder, and behind the left eye OOF. I think f/4 or so would have looked better, bringing those parts into the focal plane.

#2 is a nice pose with good expression. it might look good cropped to a shoulder up shot as well.
#3 is nice as well, with that branch cloned out.
not really digging the B&W. just not my thang.

Thanks for the info. Still trying to find the best DoF for shots like that. Typically Im at f/8 + in studio so I went shallow for out and about to see how it came out. Her left eye is a bit soft as well.

Most reactions

Back