Turret

Sometimes an understanding of what we are looking at helps. If you had explained what this turret is, how old, whats it for, or where it came from would make it a little more interesting to look at, even if the images themselves arent very interesting from a photographic point of view.

To put it back to the OP...What conscious decisions did you make in framing each of these images, and why do you feel they work? Or, where do you think they fail?

If someone tells you your images are poorly composed, you should explain why you did it the way you did. It allows others to see YOUR thought process, and guide you accordingly.

If someone tells you your images are poorly composed, you should explain why you did it the way you did. It allows others to see YOUR thought process...

It also allows people to tell him he is not taking C&C very well and shouldn't ask for C&C if he can't take it :)

I absolutely agree with the OP's response to Man... it was of no use. It would have been easy enough to give one or two pointers dealing specifically with the problems mentioned.

What suggestions would you have given to the op, Chris?

I was back at the location today, with a different camera (film this time) and in different conditions - it was quite overcast. I was using the same light meter and the film had the same iso as my P100 was set to for the first photos (iso 200). I did my best to get the same shots, as well as some new perspectives with a little different composition, and will post them on this thread once I have them back from the lab. I will try my best to give an account of the conscious selective decisions I made for each shot, as well as some exif info for them asap. I rotated back to the working world and my daughter started back at school today, so time is a little tight. Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Looking forward to seeing your 2nd set of photographs. It will be interesting to see how you applied our CC's to your decision making process.

Can't wait to see them! You're making me jealous too, I can't wait to get back to Germany so I can start taking photo trips to all the good spots nearby!

This is the first of the reshoot. Taken at f8, 1/125 (I think) using Agfa Vista 200 in overcast conditions. I used Picasa 3 to straighten, crop and resize and PSE 8 to pp a little for texture, saturation and contrast, etc,. I went round the back of the structure to get this shot and think the perspective and composition are reasonable to good. I am very pleased with the overall result. Having noted the tips from over read, I have posted this at 800 pixels. C&C needed, please.

imm002_22-3.jpg

Nice composition. No extraneous elements to deal with. Actually, the back is more interesting then the front. Your exposures looks perfect on my screen. This is a giant improvement over your 1st set of pictures.

Better from a technical perspective, but it's a real estate shot of a building that is clearly not real estate. What about the place interests you? Have you brought that out in this image? Have you captured the feeling?

Better from a technical perspective, but it's a real estate shot of a building that is clearly not real estate. What about the place interests you? Have you brought that out in this image? Have you captured the feeling?

while I didn't take the picture, the original ones which weren't nearly as tightly cropped, had issues of more modern building to the left and down the path. I think that his decisions on cropping them out was the correct ones.

Most reactions

Back