Turret

I'm probably not as qualified to comment upon the technical aspect of this photo, but I can tell you that what I think manaheim is saying is that it looks very flat. Nothing in that picture really pops for me. I think the subject has much potential interest, and that angle is really nice... but it needs some emotion. If the sky had some evil looking clouds or a nice yellow sunshine. Can you get back there nearer to sunrise or sunset when you'll get a nice warm glow from the brick and the sky won't get blown out white like that? That might make this exact picture really nice. Also, did you try getting some detail shots of the brick and ivy and such? I think part of the problem with this is the background. The only interesting thing in the area that we've seen in these pictures is this structure. Everything else around looks pretty bland. So perhaps just going right in and getting some shots of smaller chunks of the turret, with no extra details of the world around it would be nicer all around. That's my two cents, which is probably worth at least a fifth of that. ;) Keep on working on it!

I really like the sharpness, the colors... yet since this is a heavy massive structure, it is always soothing to leave a bit more space around...that is my persona choice though

Regards :D

Thanks for the feedback and comments. At the weekend I'll try to answer everyone in turn.....time and family allowing!

This is the second image from the reshoot: a detail of the side wall of the turret, which, perhaps, has emphasis on the essence of the material structure. Again f8 (not sure of the shutter speed) and taken manually using an Autochinon 35-70mm lens. Picasa 3 to crop and resize, PSE 8 to pp for contrast, etc,. I'm quite happy with this in general but think the focus is a little off (I didn't like the look of it however once I'd tried to sharpen it in pp)

imm009_15Kopie-1.jpg

I think your first posted shot of the second attempt (that sounds confusing even to me!) is MUCH better compositionally. I think BadPictures and Frequency are correct also, the sky can really make or break a shot like this and I too would like to see more landscape around it however I know that isn't possible without including some modern buildings. I also think its a little oversharpened or maybe too much contrast? Someone else may correct me on this though.

Joe

#3 of the reshoot. Also f8 using Agfa vista 200 and a light meter to double check the camera's own reading. I've used Picasa 3 to crop and resize and PSE 8 for other pp. I've tried to concentrate on the arched opening and the iron bars which deny access to the structure. I also wanted to bring out the textures and colours in the brickwork. My feeling is the ivy has come out really well considering there really wasn't any sunshine - the advice to try an overcast day way great!

imm011_13-5.jpg

Being just a little nit picky, pic #2 looks a little titled. Very easy to correct in PP. I really like picture #3. Nice color saturation, interesting details, and to my eye, nicely composed.

I went back again this Monday and took some more photos, this time in sunny and frosty conditions. I wanted to try a couple of ideas out about angles and isolating features. The first shot I already tried last week but it didn't work out at all. In the second shot I noticed the bricks on the ground when there last week and turned over in my mind how I could include them in an effective and interesting shot. I also wanted to try out some new (for me) film - Fujifilm 200:

imm005_19.jpg

imm004_20-1.jpg

Picture #1 has an interesting prospective, looking up the steps, but there is still another era building in the background on the far right. It's a simple crop to remove it digitally, but shooting color film, not so easy unless you have access to a photo print kiosk, but they don't allow you to change aspect ratios.

Picture #2 just doesn't work for me, as my eyes are drawn not to the bricks, but rather through the opening and right to that building on the hill. I would have tried to get as low to the bricks as possible, used the widest angle lens I had, which would have made the bricks a stronger central subject for the photograph.

Thanks Joel. I tend to agree about the 2nd photo and will be trying again as soon as the opportunity presents itself. This is a great learning curve for me and I'm really grateful for the input!

Fred, you have a great attitude. Most would have just given up, and moved on. Looking forward to your next set of pics.

OK, so I got the latest film back from the lab this morning. This is the first of the bunch that I'm quite happy with:

imm033_1Kopie.jpg

Müller (chemist chain) own brand film, iso 200, f2.8 (on aperture priority so I'm not sure of the ss). 35mm wide angle lens.

this kinda just screams point and shoot

this kinda just screams point and shoot

Well, it was taken with a Revue AC-5 SLR camera with a Porst 35mm wide angle lens set at f2.8 and using iso 200 film (given the conditions this is what I thought would yield the best results). Admittedly the camera was set to aperture priority, but neither the camera nor the lens have auto focus. Also, this was my fourth visit to the location , and this shot was the main objective of the visit and quite a lot of thought went into it.

Could you give me an idea as to why you think it screams P&S?

Last edited:
Actually I like it. You limited the subject matter quite nicely, although a slightly tighter crop, and moving the subject to the right or left would help. The shallow DOF keeps one's eyes focused on the main subject. The low angle also makes it some what more personal then what we usually get of looking/shooting down at a steep angle. Colors have also been limited, again helping to control the over all effectiveness of the photo. And no nasty contrasty lighting.

DooBr, I would also like to have your view on why you think that Fred's photo screams P & S?

Fred, here's an edit so you can see what I'm talking about.

imm033_1Kopie by jaw101, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Joel, the slight change makes a big difference. Food for thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back