Twin flash diffusers

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone used these Macro Diffusers
I have bought other ones and I was very disappointed with them - I couldn't use them at higher magnification with my MPE65mm.

They're just small softboxes.

What was it that was the problem at higher magnification? I would think the same principals for softbox placement would apply only at a smaller scale.

I've not used them, however I've used the same other set that Racketman has used over on Photography on the Net in your thread on that forum asking the same question. I bought his earlier designs which push onto the flash head with a little clip - I see that he's refined the design with a much more secure wrap-around.

That said pretty much any of the small softbox attachments is going to give similar-ish performance in terms of diffusion since they all basically do the same thing, increase the size of the light source relative to the subject. Kaiser bounce shoes or other attachments to raise the heads up (or the flexi-arm attachment) are all options for letting you place them where you want as the ringflash mount on its own isn't big enough to give room to fit softbox attachments to the flash heads.

Larger magnifications will always be a trial because you're moving the whole setup much closer which cuts down on working distance.

The smallest attachment I've used is an oblong concave dome and works on the principle of changing distances instead of softening light by a larger area. The concave design means that light sourced from the middle is further away than light from the edges - in theory on a 3D insect (or similar) subject this means a reduction in the light hitting at different distances on the subject and thus softening the differences in the light. That said I've not seen anyone making them (these ones were the caps off a stain remover product). StevB found the idea years ago though I've not seen much of him around the net these days. The bonus is that they are much smaller than softboxes but they still need a spacer (Kaiser shoe works great) to raise the head up.

Has anyone used these Macro Diffusers
I have bought other ones and I was very disappointed with them - I couldn't use them at higher magnification with my MPE65mm.

They appear to be very well-made and well-fitted. I am familiar with the size of the Nikon macro Speedlight, since I bought one from a junk bin about two years ago for $6 Yeah,$6! I would estimate that these small diffusers,or micro soft boxes increase the size of light roughly eightfold, which is a lot of size increase . The sample photos certainly look decent. I do not know how much these cost but they do look well made and they do increase the physical size of the Flash quite a bit. I think it would be nice to have a set.

They're just small softboxes.

What was it that was the problem at higher magnification? I would think the same principals for softbox placement would apply only at a smaller scale.
At higher magnification the MWD decreases and they get in the way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back