Twister in our yard, seriously.

oldhippy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Major damage to area. 60,000 without power sense last Sunday. Took the top off a dozen trees behind the house. Laid a 40 ft tree along side the house. No damage. Electric scheduled back on Monday. Got heat, and plenty food. Won’t be posting till next week. DSL and phone are off more than on. We are all fine. Later Ed

Major damage to area. 60,000 without power sense last Sunday. Took the top off a dozen trees behind the house. Laid a 40 ft tree along side the house. No damage. Electric scheduled back on Monday. Got heat, and plenty food. Won’t be posting till next week. DSL and phone are off more than on. We are all fine. Later Ed

Glad you're OK. Those were some rough storms.

Joe

Glad you weren’t hurt, and the house wasn’t hit.

Glad to hear you’re all ok. Contact with a Twister can be hairy and impressive. I was headed to the Bahamas from Martha’s Vineyard on my boat, en route to the Caribbean, and just on the edge of the Gulf Stream, when a Tornado Warning came over the VHF. Not a good idea to be in the Gulf Stream when one of those arrives, so looked for the nearest Harbour of Refuge on the Charts, and figured I’d get to the one in Rhode Island in time, so headed for it. I made it and anchored well clear of other boats, set my anchor watch on the phone, and kept a close eye on the barometer and made a meal. Not long after getting every floatation device into the cockpit, and the offshore life jacket on, the barometer fell like a rock and I wedged myself into the floatation devices in the cockpit. Within about 10 minutes it hit, and I’ve never seen anything like it. Stunningly beautiful purple lightning, then a Tornado clipped the boat heeling it so far to port that the aerial on the mast was under the water. The sideways blow was so powerful, it pulled the anchor and the anchor alarm went off. Unfortunately later boat arrivals had anchored behind me far too close, but I got the engine going and “flew” the anchor between them and got solidly anchored again. Got clipped a few more times but nowhere near as badly as the first one, and the anchor held. The rest of the night I spent on watch and managed to enjoy the impressive show. No boats in the harbour were damaged which was nice, and nobody went over the side.

Glad you're OK, Ed.

Thank you all so very much.
Still waiting for the power, est next Monday. Phone back on. But sporadic. Hope you all are doing well. Ed

Glad your safe! Scary!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back