Two E-Sessions

These are seriously, SERIOUSLY gorgeous!! I think #11 is my favorite, but they are all awesome.

In my opinion, very few people can "move" viewers with their work, the way that you are doing. Its a true gift to be able to do that.

Can I ask what lens/lenses you are using for these shots?

Wow! That first couple is gorgeous and you got so many great shots. You are amazing.

Question: How much editing do you do on your photos? Do you use actions or do you treat each one differently? I can't get over how amazing your pictures are! Either I need to go to Canada or I need to get you to move to Illinois, because I would love to follow you around on a session! :)

I agree! I can't get over these pictures. I keep looking at them over and over, trying to soak them in. Seriously I want to be like you!

Well i don't have much more to say that's already been said! excellent work and very creative. I will be keeping an eye out for more to come for sure.

oh my god, these are stunning!
3 is simply gorgeous

Hey Arch, want to give me some words of wisdom coming from the landscape pro? No seriously, if you had to tell me 5 main things to know what would it be?

ok slight thread hijack, but you did ask!

Well... personally i would try and absorb as much inspiration about Iceland as possible, so that when you are there you will already have a feel for the place.
Imo, this can help you to make decisions on what to include to capture images which show you are really 'feeling' the place around you and will therefore rub off on the people that view your landscape photos.

A great source of inspiration from a superb female Icelandic photographer would be Rebekka Guðleifsdóttir's Flickr page. Take a good look... she has branched out into many different styles lately but is still an excellent landscaper (and also knits traditional Icelandic clothing :p).
The next thing is personal taste but I would also listen to Sigur ros alot... maybe too far for some, but for inspiration you can't beat thier music... and also visuals like in the vid for

Next.. your gear, if you can go wide.. 10mm or 14mm at the wide end if you can (also consider fisheye). If not 18mm will suffice and probably easer to obtain the next part if your under geared...

Filters... Polerizer is a must... ND's useful (if your planning on the coastal shots especially)... graduated ND's (like the cookin P series) very useful.

For shooting in general, i tend to look around at the views, when something looks great the first question i ask myself is 'right, what is the foreground?'
Find something which you can use for forground compostion (an old house, a rock formation.. whatever) use the rule of thirds, find the composition and then shoot keeping the horizon either in the top third or lower third.. usually above f8.
Underexpose a bit if needed... you can sort out the processing when your home.

Another useful thing to know about Iceland is from june to august and sometimes beyond, it doesn't get dark at night, so ambient landscapes are still possible.

Have fun!... if you have any further questions just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures as always Peanuts.

Not too many people I look for when checking these forums, but you are one of them! Always appreciate your work.

Between you and Big Mike another forum could be started =) Ironically enough we all live in Alberta.

My goodness you people make me feel so fuzzy inside! :)

NJMAN here are the lens details:
24-70mm f/2.8: Images 1-9, 13, 14, 15, 19
24mm T/S: 10, 17, 18, 21, 22
85mm f/1.2 (yum): 11, 12, 20, 23
135mm f/2: 16
and.. I think that covers it.

Arch: Thank you so much I haven't had the chance to quite absorb it all yet but I will be PMing you soon with some questions!

Shibby: We should have an Alberta meet-up sometime soon.. i have my own wheels so I can actually make it around to places now!

Thank you SO much everyone I love reading through your comments and getting feedback

Alberta meet up? :)

Just realized I've not changed my location here.. I'm now in Calgary

Your Photos are amazing.
We may have to meet in person so you can teach me some lessons.
Although humans are not usually one of my subjects I can clearly tell you are a PRO!

You should feel fuzzy! Your work is ALWAYS great - I want to BE Peanuts :)

My favs are the carnival ones - I would love to do something like that - I also like the sun flare, very cool. You are going to be one very rich photographer.

Well... personally i would try and absorb as much inspiration about Iceland as possible, so that when you are there you will already have a feel for the place.
Imo, this can help you to make decisions on what to include to capture images which show you are really 'feeling' the place around you and will therefore rub off on the people that view your landscape photos.

A great source of inspiration from a superb female Icelandic photographer would be Rebekka Guðleifsdóttir's Flickr page. Take a good look... she has branched out into many different styles lately but is still an excellent landscaper (and also knits traditional Icelandic clothing :p).
The next thing is personal taste but I would also listen to Sigur ros alot... maybe too far for some, but for inspiration you can't beat thier music... and also visuals like in the vid for Glósóli

Next.. your gear, if you can go wide.. 10mm or 14mm at the wide end if you can (also consider fisheye). If not 18mm will suffice and probably easer to obtain the next part if your under geared...

Filters... Polerizer is a must... ND's useful (if your planning on the coastal shots especially)... graduated ND's (like the cookin P series) very useful.

For shooting in general, i tend to look around at the views, when something looks great the first question i ask myself is 'right, what is the foreground?'
Find something which you can use for forground compostion (an old house, a rock formation.. whatever) use the rule of thirds, find the composition and then shoot keeping the horizon either in the top third or lower third.. usually above f8.
Underexpose a bit if needed... you can sort out the processing when your home.

Another useful thing to know about Iceland is from june to august and sometimes beyond, it doesn't get dark at night, so ambient landscapes are still possible.

Good tips Arch. The one thing I would add, is to know and/or be aware of the sunlight. Think of landscapes as naturally lit portrait shots, where the subject can't turn or move. So for the best light on your subject, it's a matter of you being in the right place at the right time of day. That can be hard to do when travelling, but if you can return to a location, take note of when the light should be best and try to return at that time.

Most reactions

Back