Two General Nikon questions for conversation

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First is a question regarding the D7000. I've been seeing a lot of postings regarding D7000 issues. Is this a troubled camera or is stil a good camera considering the unit to problem ratio?

Second is regarding video. Do all current upper end Nikons, and other makes, offer video? I was very happy to hear that my old D200 doesn't have it. It might be old school way of thinking, but I feel the still camera is a still camera and video is video. I realize I always have the option to not use it, but I guess it's a mental block I have.

Rick58 said:
First is a question regarding the D7000. I've been seeing a lot of postings regarding D7000 issues. Is this a troubled camera or is stil a good camera considering the unit to problem ratio?

Second is regarding video. Do all current upper end Nikons, and other makes, offer video? I was very happy to hear that my old D200 doesn't have it. It might be old school way of thinking, but I feel the still camera is a still camera and video is video. I realize I always have the option to not use it, but I guess it's a mental block I have.

I have heard some errors occurring on the D7000, but nothing catastrophic or life ending. Any consumer electronic piece is bound to get an error or fault. It's the nature of the beast.

As far as I know, every camera produced after the D700 has video... So that would be a yes. Although, like you said, you don't have to use it.

Hope you're doing well Rick, take care!

Doing great pal, glad to see you around.

Tyler has it right on both counts. There was an issue with the D7000 and randomly ERR with SD cards but a firmware update fixed that. I still get it with some cards, but not often. I don't think I've had any other problems with the camera.

Edit: By often I mean maybe one in 10,000 shots if that...

Thanks guys, I wasn't even thinking of upgrading until last night when I found I had 74 hot pixels. I know I can hide them, but I'll always know they're there. I may not be the best photographer, but I take pride in my equipment and I won't be content knowing they are there.

BTW, my 200 only has 8k clicks. Do they also simply come from age?

Rick,I've had my 7000 about 17 months/38000 actuations.I've never had 1 single issue with it.I've seen where people have,so maybe I'm fotunate.Or maybe it's because before I took my first shot with it,I dropped it about 3' just to set it straight.Actually,the strap slipped through,and it hit the pavement,immediatly making me sick to my stomach.Never had an issue!
The 200 does not do video?Just picked one up a few days ago,and noticed in the menu,under video,a choice for NTCS or PAL.Bought it used,d/l the manual,but haven't really explored it beyond the in cam menu.When I saw that tab,I guess I assumed it shot video as well.No matter,I didn't buy it for that.

If you found that in the menu, it sure sounds like I might be mistaken. I've never seen anything regarding video so I assumed it didn't exist. I'll have to look further.

Found it in the manual,Rick.........it's for connecting to a TV/VCR for playback.

ratssass said:
Found it in the manual,Rick.........it's for connecting to a TV/VCR for playback.

The D200 doesn't do video. It has that for image playback. I'm pretty sure my 5D1 has that too.

Every Nikon that comes out will have some type of problem...

D4 - Green LCD
D800 - Green LCD & Left Focus Issue
D600 - Dust and oil issues caused by shutter
D7000 - Back focus issues
D90 - Viewfinder display stops working

.. Most are caused by internet hysteria, some are actual problems.

I always see what Thom Hogan has to say about any 'issue' before i decide if its real or not. For example, Mr Hogan took a very large sample of D800 data and proved that there was, in fact, a left focus issue with the D800. He also says that any D800 you buy now shouldn't have the problem.

For the D7000.. he came to the conclusion that most of the back focus issues where caused by user error... and sure enough, after the 'newness' of the D7000 wore off and people learned how to use the camera the internet calmed down on the issue.

I've had my D7000 for a few years and it has been one of my favorite cameras I've owned. People will say its not up to the quality/specs of the D300 or D700 or D90... I've used all of those cameras and i prefer my D7000 for shooting what i shoot... that's why i use it.

I guess my point... in regards to your first question.. Is that the D7000 is IMHO a good camera.. but only you can decide if its good for you.

As to your 2nd question... I have never used the video feature of any of my cameras. If its not important to you just ignore the video features and focus on the pictures :)

PS. Don't think Nikon is alone with all their 'issues'... At least they didn't have to do an 'Allergy recall/notice' like Canon did on the T4i / 650D :lol:

Video is a new feature on new d-slrs...better just accept that, and ignore the feature if you do not want to shoot video clips. While video was all the rage on the Canon 5D-II, the "industry" need for video is now being fulfilled by large sensor video cameras that do even better, and are truly set up as video cameras from the get-go, and so video in d-slrs is no longer something that is really a primary driver of the segment; right now, the emphasis seems to be on image quality and features for still camera use.

I think the majority of the D7000 problems have been solved. Early on, a lot of internet chatter focused on the camera "overexposing"; like TheLost mentioned, Thom Hogan's site is *the place* to go for straight info on Nikons....he stated that the D7000's so-called overexposing issue was really more a case of the camera, as he put it, "over-developing" the images, and boosting contrast and punch too rapidly compared with the expectations of most newbie users.

According to Hogan's columns the past few months, he expects a new Nikon camera to be announced in February of this year...so...

Most reactions

Back