Two ideas.... comments?

Which do you like better?

• Total voters
As has been mentioned, I don't see the connection between the ring and the flower, other than the flower is a pretty foreground/background. In which case I would use a real flower with a more subtle color, as to not compete with the color of the ring itself. Being able to see so clearly that the flower is fake suggests that possibly the ring is fake. I think you could get away with the fake flower if the DOF is reduced to the ring only, so we couldn't see the details of the flower.

I do like the way the ring itself is lit in the first image. The glare on the stone gives a sense of depth and the contrast on the lettering/details is nicely balanced. In the lower image the stone lacks luster, and some of the highlights in the details are blown out.

I don't have any experience shooting jewelry, but it seems to me that you need some sort of backlighting or a snoot light to help illuminate the stone.

Since you asked :D The first photo is a little to contrived for my taste. Is that a plastic flower? Generally rings look best when the face is featured.

You are definitely on the right track.

I really like that first one although it would have been better without the ring there.
BTW, did you know I like flower close-ups?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back