Two problems I need help with!

masquerad101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first is when I upload my images to photobucket the colour and quality of light gets destroyed. My images look fine on my IPS screen and also when I upload them to facebook so why do they get destroyed through photobucket?

The next is a problem with panos! I have taken a few panos and some where successfull but in others you can clearly see straight/diagonal lines through the image (like this one) where the seperate photos have been stitched. I have played around with the layer modes to see if that helps but it dose not. All 4 images where shot in manual mode at f22 with an ISO value of 400.

Im sure someone will be able to help with the pano problem but please, I beg! Please help me with the upload and image quality problem? It is really frustraiting me as I want to show my images as the are when edited and I know when you look at the image here you will see how badly deteriorated it is :cry: I am really banging my head against a brick wall here :banghead: because I know people will either think that its my screen thats the problem or my editing skills are terrible but its neither. please help!!

In RAW the colour space is prophoto RGB and in PS colour settings the profile is also prophoto RGB! I was told that this was the best colour space for printing my photos. I havent printed any yet but I intend to so I can compare my prints to whats on the screen.

What color profile are the pictures?

re:pano. F stop the same, are the shutter speeds the same?

Good question (shutter speeds), to which I dont know the answer. You see I only made sure that the ISO, f.stops and exposure where the same in each shot. Should I have had the same shutter speeds aswell?

That is the answer - or rather those are the answers.

Color managed applications will use the color profile and non-color managed apps, like most browsers, assume that every picture is in sRGB.

If the shutter speed and f stop aren't the same in each exposure, the the images will be diffently exposed and thus there may be differently exposed frames.

And the pano will look exactly like yours does.
p

Ok thanks, so then should I edit my photos twice? One for web viewing and one for printing and if so which colour space do you recomend?

I will go and have another go at the pano and get the shutter speed right as well. Thanks again.

When you output your files for general viewing on the web or other places where they aren't color managed, convert them to sRGB as part of the output process.
Keep the archival version in the much more detailed ProPhoto or RGB.

Yes, the problem is that you're using ProphotoRGB and internet browsers are only capable of displaying images (properly) in sRGB. So when you upload an image in something other than sRGB, the browser does a poor job converting the data into an image on the screen.

Prophoto is a bigger (thus better) color space...but it's benefits are in the editing stage. When you output to something (whether screen or print) you must consider the color space or limits of that output medium.

For example, if you are going to print an image, you need to realize that the printer/ink/paper will not be capable of reproducing the same range of colors that are found in Prophoto RGB.
584px-Colorspace.png

Often, the differences are subtle and not of much concern...but if you are very exacting about your editing and your output (how people will see the image) then this is something you need to be aware of.

The method for dealing with this problem, is to have a profile of your output. So if you are sending your files to a lab, get their printer profile. If you are printing at home, then you can create a profile (specific to the type of paper) by using a printer calibration system. You can also get a profile made by sending a test print to someone who does printer profiling.
http://shop.colourconfidence.com/section.php/10308/1/x-rite

So when you print, you would assign the printer profile.

Also, there is a process called Soft Proofing when you use software to apply the printer profile to the image in order to visualize the way the print might look. More importantly, this can also show you colors that are 'out of gamut'. Meaning that if you have color in the image that are fine in ProphotoRGB, they might still be outside the gamut of your printer profile...and thus, they wouldn't print as you expect them to. So in that case, you could alter the image, to make sure the colors print as you expect them to.

Of course, the flaw in all of this is that monitors really aren't capable of displaying the full range of colors that are in these color spaces. As I understand it, most 'regular' monitors can't even display the full range of sRGB, let alone the bigger spaces like AdobeRGB or ProphotoRGB. You can buy an expensive, high end 'wide gamut' monitor, and last I heard, they were able to display about 99% of AdobeRGB (smaller than Prophoto).

Understanding Soft Proofing
Soft Proofing: Matching On-Screen Photos with Prints

Mike Thats fantasic! Thanks so much. Its a little much to take in all at once but ill keep coming back to this to try to asertain a better understanding of this.

I usually send my images to lab to have them printed but this is a new camera and I have not printed any of the photos ive taken with it yet. So I will call the lab and ask for there printer profile.

.....The next is a problem with panos! I have taken a few panos and some where successfull but in others you can clearly see straight/diagonal lines through the image (like this one) where the seperate photos have been stitched. I have played around with the layer modes to see if that helps but it dose not. All 4 images where shot in manual mode at f22 with an ISO value of 400. ...........

How much overlap are there between adjacent images? If there' no or very little overlap, the software will have a hard time lining them up. It also looks like you're taking them hand-held. Using a level tripod my help.

Also, are you using a polarizer on the lens? If so, remove it as turning the camera changes the polarization angle, especially in the sky.

.....The next is a problem with panos! I have taken a few panos and some where successfull but in others you can clearly see straight/diagonal lines through the image (like this one) where the seperate photos have been stitched. I have played around with the layer modes to see if that helps but it dose not. All 4 images where shot in manual mode at f22 with an ISO value of 400. ...........

How much overlap are there between adjacent images? If there' no or very little overlap, the software will have a hard time lining them up. It also looks like you're taking them hand-held. Using a level tripod my help.

Also, are you using a polarizer on the lens? If so, remove it as turning the camera changes the polarization angle, especially in the sky.

There is a good few inches of over lap between the images so I dont think thats the problem and I didnt use any filters on the lens but I did shoot hand held. I carry my tripod every time but I fail to use it. I must get into the habbit!

prophoto RGB! I was told that this was the best colour space for printing my photos.

ProPhoto RGB has a color gamut wider than humans can perceive.

ProphotoRGB is recommended for image editing.

I am not aware of any print device that can print ProPhoto RGB.
Most online print labs want image files in the sRGB color space.
Some online print labs can print from a file that is in the Adobe RGB color space.

I did not know that! Clearly I still have much to learn but no bother. I will enjoy doing it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back