Ugh....it's all gone :(

He recovered about 2200 photos in RAW format with the NFTS Update program (Thank you thank you) and is able to view them when converting them to JPG so far (He only looked at a few). I told him to stop using his computer until I can get to it to make sure he doesn't overwrite anymore data. Keeping fingers crossed that I can at least get the photos of my son back if nothing else. The wedding photos I can get from the brides of the 2 that I have shot.

You should try other computer stores. Bestbuy is known to overcharge. Find some local computer guys. If the pictures are really important on you, price wouldn't be a problem.

They are that important to me but if I don't have the money...what am I going to do? Rent and food for my son is a tad more important than photos.

The last program didn't bring up many recovered files and none that it brought up worked so I guess I will have to see who is around for local guys.

What do you mean "you" don't have the money? This shouldn't cost you one red penny. Your husband should be out right now robbing a bank or whatever else it takes to fix his mess. He should also be taking your computer to the store to have it fixed, while you relax in a hot bath and contemplate letting him keep his socks in the impending divorce.

Or am I missing something here?

Glad to see you have been able to recover at least some of them. My fingers are crossed that it all works out for you.

Oh goodness, I feel so sorry that you are going through this! Please let us know if you recover it! Lots of luck!

Have you use any software to try to recover file yet, cause if you send your pc to a store all they will do is use a software.

to really delete file of a hard drive so that nothing can be recovered, they have to be deleted ,rerewrite (about 7 times).
and those software run in windows environement.

I hope he is sleeping on the couch for a long time

I hope he is sleeping on the couch for a long time

He doesn't even live in this house anymore but trust me, if he did, he would be sleeping out on the porch. He doesn't see what the big deal is...wanted to slap him for that. We went to the aquarium one time and he made a huge fuss about me bringing my camera in because he was 'tired of me always taking pictures' yet wasn't complaining when the money from the wedding I shot paid the bills.

He may have made a big blunder, but he is your husband. If this was not a malicious attempt, then I would beat down the walls, and let my temper simmer down.
The pictures and the computer are material, the relationship goes much deeper than either of these ever could.
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our daily lives, that we seem to forget what is really important...

He may have made a big blunder, but he is your husband. If this was not a malicious attempt, then I would beat down the walls, and let my temper simmer down.
The pictures and the computer are material, the relationship goes much deeper than either of these ever could.
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our daily lives, that we seem to forget what is really important...

In the process of a divorce, he moved out months ago...I have more attachment to the photos at this point. Lol

In the process of a divorce, he moved out months ago...I have more attachment to the photos at this point. Lol

Sorry, I was not aware of this.

All I can say at this point, is good luck in further retrieval of your images.

oh dear, am so sorry

It may be too late for this situation, but for the future... you can get two 1TB drives from Costco for under $100. I use one as the primary drive and back it up to the secondary drive automatically. Once a month (or more often if the volume justifies it), I back up the last month's shoots onto TWO DVD's (both exact copies). That way, when (notice I didn't say IF) the hard drives fail, I will have a copy either on the other drive or on DVD. Since DVD can fail as well, I make two copies.

As the technology evolves, you can lose access to the older file formats. I'm currently looking at migrating a large library of mini-DV tapes to digital files... So the lesson is expect loss and prepare yourself accordingly.

Whenever you delete anything it "deletes" it all. BUT, having said that, ask somebody that knows a good amount about hard drives and computers, because when you delete it, it doesn't actually all get deleted. It usually will show you that everything is "gone", but somewhere in there, they are there. If you can find the file names, then you should be able to get the pictures. My computer just had a virus not too long ago and I lost EVERYTHING, but a friend recovered it all. That's usually how it works though, but I could be wrong.....
Or put another way;
When you delete something, the FAT (File Allocation Table) is simply updated to show those memory locations are again available to be written to. Recovery software takes advantage of that.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your files--definitely a headache. In the future, it would be extremely wise to back up your files in multiple locations. For example, beyond backing up on an external hard drive, I also burn each shoot (edited & RAW unedited) on DVDs for storage.

Well i didn't loose as many as you. But i lost a little over 1000 of my photos when my laptops HD died on me. But being the smart guy that i am, I never even thought about backing up my photos..:banghead:
But it was a lesson learned for me. But good luck get the rest of the photos back and the ones of your son.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back