What's new

Ugli Fruit

jenko

TPF Supporters
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
1,106
Reaction score
652
Location
NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Few shots of the new still life series with an Ugli Fruit. I'm not finished with it yet, but I only have one fruit, and I'm not sure I can get another one soon, so I'm stretching it out for as long as possible. They keep really well, so I should be okay.







 
The third seems to have the best arrangement /composition. The second is not too shabby, but I would have liked to see a deeper DOF so that all the parts of the picture would be sharp. The first image just looks somewhat awkward to me, with the perspective and the arrangement being somewhat - what's the word I'm looking for - "unbalanced".
 
I agree with pgriz. I think the first is unbalance. The composition just doesn't feel apealing. I think the downward angle hurts it, too. I rather like the second one. It's more simple, and it showcases the fruit more. I think the third one has the most potential. It's really nice as is, but between the heavy vignette and the brightness of the ceramic pot, the eye is drawn too heavily to the pot, and not the fruit, which I believe is your intended subject?
 
The third seems to have the best arrangement /composition. The second is not too shabby, but I would have liked to see a deeper DOF so that all the parts of the picture would be sharp. The first image just looks somewhat awkward to me, with the perspective and the arrangement being somewhat - what's the word I'm looking for - "unbalanced".

Thanks for the feedback! The second one I just wanted to try a softer, more earthy color scheme, but I ended up liking the bold scheme better. The first image, lol, well you're definitely correct about it being unbalanced, and I knew that, but for some reason I liked it's strangeness. That doesn't mean I will use it--I've learned to kill my darlings--but I still wanted to put it out there to see what others thought, so I am grateful you chimed in and I appreciate your honesty!


I agree with pgriz. I think the first is unbalance. The composition just doesn't feel apealing. I think the downward angle hurts it, too. I rather like the second one. It's more simple, and it showcases the fruit more. I think the third one has the most potential. It's really nice as is, but between the heavy vignette and the brightness of the ceramic pot, the eye is drawn too heavily to the pot, and not the fruit, which I believe is your intended subject?

Thanks for feedback! I do want the ugli fruit to look appealing--that is sort of the challenge here--so I appreciate your thoughts. The second maybe looks the most "edible" because of the fruit crate and earthy colors. You may be right about the last shot, with the eye being drawn to the ceramic ornament. I am pretty sure, though, in a complete series, where there are several images, it won't matter as much in one image, since they all go together, if that makes sense? I could be wrong, I suppose it will depend on the entire set. It's definitely something I'll have to keep an eye on, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.


What is an Ugli fruit? is it a citrus?

Yes! It's a cross between an orange, grapefruit, and tangerine. It peels like an orange. The fruit is similar to an orange or grapefruit. It's not as bitter as grapefruit, but has more kick than an orange.
 
that sure is one ugly fruit. I like the balance of the third, the second is.. (Relate to other comments of DOF) and the first just doesn't do anything for me aside from look nice in terms of colour arrangement, good job though!
 
i like the third one... the positioning appeals to me :)

Thank you, binga! :)


that sure is one ugly fruit. I like the balance of the third, the second is.. (Relate to other comments of DOF) and the first just doesn't do anything for me aside from look nice in terms of colour arrangement, good job though!

Appreciate it! Yes, lol, it's quite pitiful to look at ... believe it or not, this one is still in its "pretty stage" because it's not fully ripened.
 
The composition in 3 is by far the best.

Number 1 has too many elements and no 2 seems contrived.

Thanks! Perhaps I'll give #1 another go, and use fewer elements and a different angle.



I applaud you for choosing a challenge and working towards a goal. It seems like you are in the right track.

By the way another ugly fruit is the durian. Apparently it's appearance isn't the worst thing about the fruit, the odor is much worse.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dur...oJMruoATuwoDwBA&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Ha! Too funny because I had already chosen Durian as my next fruit! ;)

The one after that will have to be shipped from overseas. I can't find it in the US. I hope it's legal, lol.
 
The high and looking-down-on everything angle of #1, as well as that horizon line does nothing good for the shot. Shot #2 has much more simplicity and unity,and I like it. #3 I want to like, and the lighting is nice, but it seems as if you're working too hard to bring together too many unrelated items.

Durian: I think it's legal here. I see them in the Chinese markets here all the time.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom