What's new

Ultra large tripod threads?

petrochemist133 158

TPF junkie!
Joined
Mar 9, 2014
Messages
2,441
Reaction score
1,891
Location
North Essex UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried to use my second large format camera tonight, and met an unexpected hitch, the tripod mounting screw is for a bigger thread than 3/8-16. It looks to be about 1/2" diameter does anyone know what thread this would be?
 
Try a ½" bolt in it.
Sounds simple but I'm in the UK so our 1/2" bolts wouldn't fit anyway. 1/2" bolts are generally antiques here & usually would be BA rather than Whitworth let alone UNC (Whitworth is at least close to UNC the 1/4" varieties do work)

A possibility that I can easily check using Sparky's technique, but I think it's quite a bit bigger than that.

Further googling eventually found mention of a 5/8-11 thread used for surveying tripods, it's probably that.
Typically most of the reducers to 3/8-16 from 5/8 are for the much finer pitched microphone thread. I did find one for power tools going from 5/8-11 to 3/8-16 but the seller doesn't ship to the UK & only sells large packs. so I can't even get one & cut the hex head off.

There are 5/8-11 to 1/4-20 reducers around but I'm not sure a 1/4" thread is man enough, so I'm probably best off just getting a different tripod connection for the monorail.
 
If it's North American, it should be 1/2NC (1/2-13), however if it's British (or European in general), it may be BSW; 1/2-12.7, in which case you'll likely need to make your own adaptor.
 
I tried to use my second large format camera tonight, and met an unexpected hitch, the tripod mounting screw is for a bigger thread than 3/8-16. It looks to be about 1/2" diameter does anyone know what thread this would be?
Pm sent
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom