Ultra-wide angle lens for Nikon FX?

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently snatched a used D700 so I'm the happiest camper this side of the western hemisphere. However, this also means having to replace my trusty Tokina 11-16mm, which is a DX lens.

I wouldn't want to have to replace the Tokina with a lens that's going to break my bank account (and also my back when I'm carrying it). This, of course, means that the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 is out of the question.

So what are the serviceable alternatives out there that go as wide as 12-14mm? Third-party brand? Maybe a prime, not a zoom?

Help would be appreciated.

The sigma 12mm f2.8 looks sharp from all the reviews I've heard and can be had for as low as about $600, but you can only find it used as it's discontinued. It's a pretty small prime and is probably lighter than your 11-16. I also know someone who uses a Tamron 12mm and it works pretty well from what he tells me, and he got it for $250. The Sigma 12-24 works on FX, but I can't speak to the quality, but it's another option. I've also read about a Korean company that is just starting out with a 12mm F2.8 that actually has ok image quality, but I can't recall the name of the brand. It's ~$350... so pretty easy on the wallet.

Hope that helps. I did some investigating for a mega-ultra-wide when I owned a 5D.

Wow thats some expensive equipment. Where is they best place to buy these things? I need better lenses for my camera and im so new i dont know where i should shop at. I usually like online shopping because its so easy. If you have any ideas on where i should could please help. thanks
Smile.gif
jenjen

Wow thats some expensive equipment. Where is they best place to buy these things? I need better lenses for my camera and im so new i dont know where i should shop at. I usually like online shopping because its so easy. If you have any ideas on where i should could please help. thanks
Smile.gif
jenjen

Check keh.com, they have used equipment at pretty good prices. It's my go-to online store for pretty much everything unless I absolutely want/have to get something new. Otherwise, check B&H Photo for new equipment, or Adorama.

Oh, and lenses start to get really expensive when you look at large apertures and zooms. Hell, even some primes can be really expensive (like the $3500 nikon 24mm f1.4, or the exotic supertele's that are in the $5k-10k range).

on that format...with that type of lens....i wouldnt replace a 14-24 nikon lens with anything....that is an amazingly sharp lens wide open from corner to corner. Ive had some time with it and i must say once i get a FX camera im all over a 14-24. just save and save and save its worth it.

14-24 is great if you can afford it
N.gif

+1 on the 14-24 can't be beat I love mine
Troy

The widest prime I have is the 20mm f/2.8. It's nice and small and won't break the bank. However, I know it's not as wide as you're wanting, but remember the FoV for a full frame is greater than you are used to.

Some of you people should read the OPs comments before wagging the tounge.
This, of course, means that the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 is out of the question.

What about the Nikon 18mm f/3.5 AiS manual focus prime? All you need is an 18mm to equal the wide end of the 12-24 on DX.

If you want to go low-cost the older AF 19-35mm f/3.5~fxx from the late 1990-s through mid-2000's, sold by various makers might be a viable option--Quantaray was the brand on many of these,and these are available very cheaply these days. This lens was available as a Tokina, Phoenix, Quantarary,etc. Probably all made by Tokina. This lens is a FF capable lens, since it pre-dates d-slrs and was sort of "the" early kit zoom lens for many d-slr shooters. I think PatrickHMS has one for sale here on TPF right now.

I think the Korean company Antithesis spoke of might be the Peleng company; they have a 16mm fisheye that's very low-cost. of course, that's a fish,not a rectilinear W/A. The other Korean company that springs to mind is the lens line sold as either Vivitar or as Bower. Kundalini's point about a 20mm lens being pretty wide on FX is also accurate; Nikon has made a number of pretty decent 20mm lenses for over two decades.

Smile.gif
jenjen
KEH.com is a good souce for used gear and they have a good reputation too.

Both Adorama and B&H photo video and Cameta Camera also have used gear departments and are all highly reputable.

I have gotten used gear through Amazon.com through both private sellers and camera stores. I check the cameras stores reputations at resellerratings.com. I only buy from private sellers that accept Paypal payments.

The downside to used gear is: No Warranty

As far as new gear B&H photo video, Adorama, Buydig.com, Cameta Camera all come to mind Amazon.com (when amazon is fulfilling the order or one of the above).

Another way to save a few dollars is if you can find gear that has been refurbished.

Good glass is not inexpensive. Good, fast glass costs even more. Good, fast glass ,that has reach is even more costly.

Won't the 12-24 mm bend the corners ? if so how far can one go on the wide angle side before the picture starts to distort ?

^^ The 12-24mm is a DX lens. Although it is one of the oddities, in as much as the D700 will see the entire FoV, the camera still kicks in the DX and becomes a 5MP file. AFAIK, the distortion is an inherent attribute of the manufacturing and design process. There are software remedies to correct.

Roger that :thumbup:, I'll just stick with my 20mm and step back if needed. :mrgreen:

The sigma 12mm f2.8 looks sharp from all the reviews I've heard and can be had for as low as about $600, but you can only find it used as it's discontinued. It's a pretty small prime and is probably lighter than your 11-16. I also know someone who uses a Tamron 12mm and it works pretty well from what he tells me, and he got it for $250.
Thanks, Antithesis. I didn't even know that primes this wide existed (I thought the widest primes were 14mm). I'll look into this.

The Sigma 12-24 works on FX, but I can't speak to the quality, but it's another option.
I'e read all sorts of reviews of this lens. Some say it's the best thing since slice bread, some others say the glass is atrocious. Sigma is not known for consistency, so I'm not surprised :)

The widest prime I have is the 20mm f/2.8. It's nice and small and won't break the bank. However, I know it's not as wide as you're wanting, but remember the FoV for a full frame is greater than you are used to.
Thanks, kundalini. This lens is in my field of view as well.

What about the Nikon 18mm f/3.5 AiS manual focus prime? All you need is an 18mm to equal the wide end of the 12-24 on DX.

If you want to go low-cost the older AF 19-35mm f/3.5~fxx from the late 1990-s through mid-2000's, sold by various makers might be a viable option--Quantaray was the brand on many of these,and these are available very cheaply these days. This lens was available as a Tokina, Phoenix, Quantarary,etc. Probably all made by Tokina. This lens is a FF capable lens, since it pre-dates d-slrs and was sort of "the" early kit zoom lens for many d-slr shooters. I think PatrickHMS has one for sale here on TPF right now.
Thanks, Derrell. I didn't even know of the existence of these lenses either. I'll do some research.

Thanks to everybody who's stopped by and helped out.

You've got 3 options:

14-24

17-35

or settle for the 14mm f/2.8

WELCOME TO NIKON FX!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back