What's new

Ultra-wide angle lens for Nikon FX?

The sigma 12mm f2.8 looks sharp from all the reviews I've heard and can be had for as low as about $600, but you can only find it used as it's discontinued. It's a pretty small prime and is probably lighter than your 11-16. I also know someone who uses a Tamron 12mm and it works pretty well from what he tells me, and he got it for $250.
Thanks, Antithesis. I didn't even know that primes this wide existed (I thought the widest primes were 14mm). I'll look into this.

Yikes, I meant 14mm on all accounts. My bad. That korean prime is this: Samyang 14mm f2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Lens

The company is Samyang. Unfortunately all their lenses are MF, but they are really inexpensive. AF on a 14mm is a luxury at best. Hyperfocus is very easy to set at that focal length.
 
If you're not willing to spend the cash on the 14-24 f/2.8 then get the 18-35 f/3.5-4.5

Not as wide as the 14-24, but the 11-16 lies right in the middle of the 14-24 and 18-35
 
Thanks everybody for the feedback. The decision for the time being is to give my Tokina 11-16 a chance –it's usable on full frame between 14.5 and 16mm. I need to see how the Tokina performs from edge to edge on a full format camera. If it doesn't work, then I'll try the Nikkor 18-35 or any of the Sigmas (14mm and 15-30mm). There is no way I can shell out the money needed for a 14-24 or 17-35. I do this for fun, I have no income from photography.

All that being said, I find it unbelievable that there are currently no third party alternatives out there to compete with the Nikkor 14-24 at least in terms of price. As far as I understand, all the Sigmas (except for the 12-24mm, the worst of them all) have been discontinued.
 
Tokina/Spiratone 17mm f3.5 -- not the widest, but still pretty fricken wide on FX.

I picked up one of these after buying my d700, i've been happy with it.

Kenny had a review of it a while back:
Tokina 17mm f/3.5 SL
 
Tokina has announced a 16-28mm fx. Don't when it will be out or how much it will be, but sounds exciting.
 
Tokina has announced a 16-28mm fx. Don't when it will be out or how much it will be

Adorama sells it for $849. It will be out in October.

ATX168PROFNX Tokina 16-28MM F/2.8 ATX Pro FX Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras



Samples with a D3X:

AT-X 16-28 F2.8 PRO FXb‚‹´—Ç•ã‚ÌŽ‹“_

Wow, that's a pretty good price. What about the 16-35 VRII f/4. If you're shooting landscape, the VRII is a big plus. That lens has good amount of distortion at 16mm, but that can easily be corrected and it goes away as soon as you get to 17/18mm. I've seen many review saying this lens is everyone new favorite because it's sharp as the 14-24mm in the center and almost as sharp in the corners and VRII seems to really be useful even in ultra wide.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom