What's new

Un-Decoded Batteries for Canon 60D

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
363
Reaction score
31
Location
Atlanta, GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have experience with the "ebay" batteries that say they are "Un-decoded'? They all have a disclaimer that says that they might not be recognized by the camera. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if it's a big problem if the camera doesn't recognize them.

thanks for the help in advance.
 
i think if theyre not recognized by the camera, it might give you some sort of warning or screen saying so. may be intrusive to your photography.

*why not buy OEM in the first place?
 
*why not buy OEM in the first place?

Maybe people don't like the feeling of being taken up the backside financially because of a shiny logo?

From the years of buying stuff on eBay, battery is not one of them I would be considering. My personal experience tells me that, OEM batteries last twice as long as the eBay version. For someone dropped few hundred or thousand, why would someone want to save 10-15 bucks and MAY cause damage to your camera is beyond me.
 
Who said ebay? I buy my aftermarket batteries at the photo store. So far they have all outlasted the OEM's, have a longer charge life, and I'm generally pleased with 3 out of the 4 I've had. The 4th has a problem where it won't keep a count of shots fired between recharges, not that this matters much.

As for causing damage, I have not heard of a single case of damage caused by an after market battery in a camera. The thing here is lithium batteries tend to only fail catastrophically while charging, and chemically can't fail at a high voltage. The only place you ever hear about this is in the manufacturer's books, but hey I could buy another charger with the money I saved on the battery.

Also cost depends on the battery. Some after market batteries (see EN-EL4a) are more than $100 cheaper than the OEM.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom