Undecided on equipment upgrades

Man, MLeek, you'd make a great salesman! lol. Oh and I love that shot... is that a real bird??

Okay so how about this set up:
7D with the kit lens (28-135 - I'd sell the kit lens.)
24-70 2.8L
Used 70-200 IS USM I
580 EXII

Total on Amazon is $4807.95... approximately $1300 more than I originally planned to spend but worth it, right?

yes, that's a real african grey parrot.
Definitely worth it!!
What is the 70-200 running you? Did you check B&H? they seem to have the best prices right now
I come up with $4398 at B&H
I just noticed that wasn't the 70-200 2.8L IS I... it was non IS.

Last edited:
If you go with the 7D, just get the body only...unless the kit is only a few hundred more. The 28-135mm is a decent lens (not really a pro lens) and you won't get much for it, if you try to sell it.

I wouldn't suggest the 24-70mm for the 7D (and/or your Rebel). I personally wouldn't be happy with 24mm being my widest on those cameras. Instead, I'd look at something like the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. It's a great lens, it's only major fault is that it's an EF-S lens, so it won't be compatible if you do someday go to a full frame camera.
You might even look at off-brand lenses to fill that need. Tamron has a couple 17-50mm F2.8 lenses (with VC and without), and Sigma has an older 18-50mm F2.8 and a newer 17-50mm F2.8 OS.
Before I got my 5DmkII, the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 was my main lens for portraits and weddings, the quality was great, especially considering it was 1/3 the price of the Canon 17-55mm F2.8.

I don't doubt what is being said about the 7D...I'd love to get one myself. But there is still a lot to be said for a full frame camera like the 5D series. It's not just about ISO and image quality.

Like I said before, it's not a bad idea to get the best camera you can afford. But also, someone mentioned keeping your current rebel and just adding great lenses (if you are only going to shoot portraits)...that's not a terrible idea either.

Really? I hadn't checked B&H. I can't find the 70-200 on their website... am I missing something?

Really? I hadn't checked B&H. I can't find the 70-200 on their website... am I missing something?
I edited while you were posting I think... I just realized it wasn't the IS version!

Big Mike - It's only $150 more for the kit lens included, but as I was thinking about it, it seems like more hassle than it's worth to sell it, so I'd just get the body only. I considered the 17-55, but the EF-S is what bothers me since I do plan on getting a 5D Mark III or whatever they decide to call it in about a year if I don't get it now. It would actually make more sense for me to get a 7D now and wait for the release of the 5D Mark III instead of buying a 5D mkii, right?

If you go with the 7D, just get the body only...unless the kit is only a few hundred more. The 28-135mm is a decent lens (not really a pro lens) and you won't get much for it, if you try to sell it.

I wouldn't suggest the 24-70mm for the 7D (and/or your Rebel). I personally wouldn't be happy with 24mm being my widest on those cameras. Instead, I'd look at something like the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. It's a great lens, it's only major fault is that it's an EF-S lens, so it won't be compatible if you do someday go to a full frame camera.
You might even look at off-brand lenses to fill that need. Tamron has a couple 17-50mm F2.8 lenses (with VC and without), and Sigma has an older 18-50mm F2.8 and a newer 17-50mm F2.8 OS.
Before I got my 5DmkII, the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 was my main lens for portraits and weddings, the quality was great, especially considering it was 1/3 the price of the Canon 17-55mm F2.8.

I don't doubt what is being said about the 7D...I'd love to get one myself. But there is still a lot to be said for a full frame camera like the 5D series. It's not just about ISO and image quality.

Like I said before, it's not a bad idea to get the best camera you can afford. But also, someone mentioned keeping your current rebel and just adding great lenses (if you are only going to shoot portraits)...that's not a terrible idea either.

I have the tamron 17-50 and it's an amazing lens for the price. Mine is the NON VC version and while I love it, I do find that I get into trouble at the 17mm end of it if I don't pay close attention. This is totally personal preference-at 17mm you have barrel distortion-like the bent lamp posts and things. It's an easy fix in post processing, but if you are in a close up portrait it also can give you the big nose effect. I honestly shoot more portraits with my 70-200 than any other lens. the only time I use the WIDE angle is for a group portrait and I find myself trying to stay above 20mm at the widest. Again, that's probably personal... I do NOT like to fix things in post. ACR and LR have a simple tool now for that, I am just plain lazy like that.

I posted test images from it in a post that NikonJosh (I THINK?) had a couple of days ago. Like all lenses it's not it's sharpest wide open, however when you stop down one f/ it's amazingly sharp and for the price it's pretty unbeatable.

Oooh.. what do you know.. my favorite shot taken from the last wedding was with a 5Dc!
p1039216218-5.jpg

I love the dynamic range you were able to capture in the font. It so clearly reads "Content Protected by Owner".

Big Mike - It's only $150 more for the kit lens included, but as I was thinking about it, it seems like more hassle than it's worth to sell it, so I'd just get the body only. I considered the 17-55, but the EF-S is what bothers me since I do plan on getting a 5D Mark III or whatever they decide to call it in about a year if I don't get it now. It would actually make more sense for me to get a 7D now and wait for the release of the 5D Mark III instead of buying a 5D mkii, right?
No, not really! Your camera that you have now is a GREAT tool. You are just self conscious of it because it's entry level. You'd be throwing money away if you upgraded now, then upgraded again in a year. Yes, you will be able to sell something off, but you will take a loss on it-even if it's just a little one.
If that T3i label is a real problem for you-get a sharpie!

now, if you are selling the T3i now-while the market is still hot on it and it's a new model, upgrading the 7D with a mind to keeping it as a backup? Then that is a good move. You'll feel a bit of a pinch if you are having to use the T3i as a back up to your 5d3.

BTW - I plan on selling the Rebel after I buy a new body.

The 17-40 f/4L is another option!
SORRY! Don't hit me! LOL!

No, not really! Your camera that you have now is a GREAT tool. You are just self conscious of it because it's entry level. You'd be throwing money away if you upgraded now, then upgraded again in a year. Yes, you will be able to sell something off, but you will take a loss on it-even if it's just a little one.
If that T3i label is a real problem for you-get a sharpie!

now, if you are selling the T3i now-while the market is still hot on it and it's a new model, upgrading the 7D with a mind to keeping it as a backup? Then that is a good move. You'll feel a bit of a pinch if you are having to use the T3i as a back up to your 5d3.

Woops, posted before I saw your post. I'd be selling the T3i now and then keeping the 7D even when upgrading to the 5D next year. So I'd have the 7D as a backup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back