Undecided on equipment upgrades

The whole reason I went with canon is because money was tight and I can have full frame for $900! Mark my word, if canon 5D III still have crappy auto focus system, I will either be a 1Dx shooter OR a Nikon shooter. But you want to shoot mostly portrait. As much as I hate the AF on the 5DII and 5D, I hardly ever miss focus on a portrait session LOL. Only on low light condition at weddings I have problem with.

I have to ask... what all do you have in Canon gear?
Honestly, if I were not so incredibly invested in Canon I'd switch I am so disillusioned with canon lately.

I just have the T3i and a 50mm 1.8. I used to be more invested with multiple lenses, but I sold them recently so really the only thing I'd have left is the cheap 50mm lens after I sell the rebel.

The whole reason I went with canon is because money was tight and I can have full frame for $900! Mark my word, if canon 5D III still have crappy auto focus system, I will either be a 1Dx shooter OR a Nikon shooter. But you want to shoot mostly portrait. As much as I hate the AF on the 5DII and 5D, I hardly ever miss focus on a portrait session LOL. Only on low light condition at weddings I have problem with.

I guess since I've never had any experience with Nikon, I don't understand why some say that it's "better." Is Canon's auto focus system really that bad? In low light, yes, I can see what you mean, but I guess since I'm shooting a lot of portrait stuff, I haven't had many problems.

I guess since I've never had any experience with Nikon, I don't understand why some say that it's "better." Is Canon's auto focus system really that bad? In low light, yes, I can see what you mean, but I guess since I'm shooting a lot of portrait stuff, I haven't had many problems.
The focus system is pretty much on a camera by camera basis. The 5D cameras pretty much have the same AF system from the cheaper XXD cameras. It should be better than what is in your Rebel, but not nearly as good as what's in the 7D (or the 1D pro line).

The focus system in the T3i is a fantastic system. You will be in shock when you go to the focus in the 5DII though.
You've got NOTHING invested in Canon. I'd make the switch, personally.

I was really off set by the D4's price comared to the 1dX. Yes, there are a couple of better/more features on the 1dX but those features are overkill too. Not enough to justify the difference between the $6000 D4 and the expected $8300 of the 1DX. BUT-that's my sports side coming out... Which also comes out in their other cameras-all but the 7D. Canon has really kind of pushed me away. If I could bail and purchase a FX and DX Nikon with the same lens lineup I currently have for what I have invested in my current collection... I might just do it one of these days and give up hoping that Canon will quit this crap they are doing.

Last edited:
The focus system is pretty much on a camera by camera basis. The 5D cameras pretty much have the same AF system from the cheaper XXD cameras. It should be better than what is in your Rebel, but not nearly as good as what's in the 7D (or the 1D pro line).

Not so true, Mike (SORRY!) I know the focus system in the 50D is far better than the 5d2 with 9 cross type focus points in the 50d and 1 in the 5d2. The 60D's focus system (I BELIEVE) is also 9. I'd prefer to use the 50D in anything I need to use any other focus point than the center.
The T3i also uses the 9 cross type focus points. That is where the 5d line falls flat as hell.

Okay... so assume I sold my canon stuff and went to Nikon. Assuming my t3i sold for $650 (I have a (off brand) grip, 4 batteries, and two 16gb SD cards) and my 50mm 1.8 for like $75... with a total budget of say... $5k... what could I get? Not a full frame body, correct?

$5k worth of Nikon:
D700 $2700 (FULL frame NEW)
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 $450
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 IS $1400
SB-900 $500 (OR the SB-700 for $325 to save a few bucks)
Total $5050

No Nikon lenses? Are they not as good or just really expensive?

Blah! Well I guess I'll just stick with Canon. I've never even held a Nikon, I'd be in a whole different world.

I think I'm set on one of the 5Ds, I emailed a guy on craigslist that's selling a 5D Mark II and the 70-200 2.8 IS USM... and it says that he went out of business due to health issues so he's looking to get rid of everything... maybe I can get a better deal.

ALL "Professional" lenses are pretty costly these days. Canon and Nikon both. Even Sigma has gotten onto the high-priced bandwagon. Sigma has DOUBLED its MSRP for its 70-200/2.8 zoom lens over the last five years; up from $749 to $1400 or so...that is a lot of money for a Sigma lens that will have lower resale value than a Canon or a Nikon 70-200/2.8 model. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens MLeeK is suggesting is one of the best independent wide-to-short tele zooms ever made...Minolta subcontracted Tamron to make and market it as a Minolta lens....SOny has continued that...Pentax too I believe is having the 28-75 design built in their proprietary dress...it offers about 90% of the optical quality of lenses that cost $1,000 more money, and about 65-70% of the build quality. It has become a TRUE "Cult Classic Lens", just as Tamron's 90mm Macro has been for the last 25 years or more.

You could also buy a used Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D lens for less than half the price of the Sigma 70-200/2.8 at new price.

Still,while cameras and lenses are nice--I think you need more LIGHTING GEAR and MODIFIERS!!!!

I was not fully cognizant that the upcoming Canon 1DX was going to be priced at $8,300 US dollars....YEESH!!! And they are killing off the 1D at $4995 or whatever??? OUCH!!!

For those who want REAL high-ISO performance, used Nikon D3s bodies ought to be hitting the streets fairly soon. $3,000 seems like a fair used price, maybe as low as $2750,cash.

Okay... so assume I sold my canon stuff and went to Nikon. Assuming my t3i sold for $650 (I have a (off brand) grip, 4 batteries, and two 16gb SD cards) and my 50mm 1.8 for like $75... with a total budget of say... $5k... what could I get? Not a full frame body, correct?

I would get:
Used D700 - $2000
Used Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 - $1400
Used Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 - $1400

These items are easily available for these prices in excellent used condition and then you've got ~$200 left to get miscellaneous.

OOOOO! Good luck! Craigslist is awesome for good deals when you can find them. I paid $1000 for my 7D with 2600 clicks on it.
Take a laptop with you when you look at it and a camera cord. There is a program that you can look at the shutter count in canon here: astrojargon - EOSInfo I know it says 40D, but it works on any camera from the 40D newer.
pro gear has a shutter life of about 150K clicks. If he has religiously had it serviced even better!

The focus system in the T3i is a fantastic system. You will be in shock when you go to the focus in the 5DII though.
You've got NOTHING invested in Canon. I'd make the switch, personally.

I was really off set by the D4's price comared to the 1dX. Yes, there are a couple of better/more features on the 1dX but those features are overkill too. Not enough to justify the difference between the $6000 D4 and the expected $8300 of the 1DX. BUT-that's my sports side coming out... Which also comes out in their other cameras-all but the 7D. Canon has really kind of pushed me away. If I could bail and purchase a FX and DX Nikon with the same lens lineup I currently have for what I have invested in my current collection... I might just do it one of these days and give up hoping that Canon will quit this crap they are doing.

MLeek you can't say this? Your a Canon Fangirl extraordinaire... ;)

Seriously though, Canon do shock me with some of there marketing tricks in this modern day market. It's a very very highly competitive market and Canon still try to pull tricks such as putting a entry level focus system and using second rate build quality in a full frame camera. Which is more than slightly absurd to say the least! It is kinda like the Canon entry level models, do they really have to be so cheaply built and toy like? When Pentax can build weather sealed cameras for not much more money.

This isn't an Anti Canon rant btw.. I love some of the things that Canon do right! I think the 7D is a beauty of a camera and I have lusted after Canon L lenses on many occasions. 135L and the 70-200L series anyone?? Stunning lenses to say the least! My gripe with Canon is, I don't get why they can still take such an old fashioned approach to marketing when this is such a competitive market we are now living in. Surely they are now living off brand name alone in the current market? Which is a bit of sad state to be in as a company in my opinion.

It was an attitude that Nikon had throughout the early 00's and it cost them dearly as we all know, only in 2008 did they finally decide to pull their finger out with the D300 line of cameras and the introduction of full frame cameras! All the PRO's went to Canon for more than one reason throughout the 00's.

Currently though, Nikon and Pentax seem keen on pushing things forward and dare I say it... Sony!

Most reactions

Back