underexposed b&w

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took these today for a lighting assignment. I'd love some c&c on the b/w conversion :D
shot at: iso 400; f3.2; 1/200

lr-020.jpg

lr-019.jpg

lr-022.jpg

i like #1 & #3, not so keen on #2, it looks to overexposed for my liking, the darker shots make the child look cuter IMO

For what it's worth I think 3 is a winner, although the inside of the ear is pretty dark...

Wait, was the actual assignment to shoot an underexposed image?
(from your thread title)

Wait, was the actual assignment to shoot an underexposed image?
(from your thread title)

no, the 'assignment' was "directional lighting". But the way I edited it seems underexposed, no? Maybe just really dark? Maybe I don't know how to describe it correctly :lol:

Well, to me they do look underexposed (& from that, too dark & grey).
But FWIW I think that it fits the assignment criteria - you have directional light hitting her face (best one for that is #2).

ETA - how much PP did you do?

Well, to me they do look underexposed (& from that, too dark & grey).
But FWIW I think that it fits the assignment criteria - you have directional light hitting her face (best one for that is #2).

thanks blacksheep. They are better exposed in the original but I lowered the exposure so his face wouldn't be blown out. I was going for a more 'artistic' look. So, you don't think my pp looks good then?

I don't think it looks bad.
I was acutally just curious about how different the final version was from the unprocessed original, so as to get a better idea of whether your images started out underexposed or not.
(FYI I don't shoot kids or other portraits, so my feedback is limited)

I think # 3 I the winner also. I did not really notice the ear until I read the post.

They're not 'underexposed' after the B&W conversion.... they just lack contrast.

Original frame histogram:

Histo2.jpg

B&W conversion histogram:

Histo1.jpg

You've got a nice dynamic range in the original, but you're lacking it in the conversion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back