Understanding Exposure - how good is the book ?

FranDaMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in the Netherlands, so there is no way I can just look into the book.
I can order it online though.

I am wondering, how good this book really is. Everybody recommends it as a good read.
But I have been into photography for quite a while. I know all my basics about aperture, shutterspeed and ISO settings and how they interact.

Would this book still be a good guide, or is it a real introduction to photography type of book ?

It's ok, it's an introductory book and has a few mistakes in it. It may provide some "extra" info in it but nothing you cant google.

If you are familiar with ISO, SS, and aperature it may not add much more than you already know. But if not its a great book for a beginner to help you understand when ,why, and how to use each of the three settings.

I know my basics and understand the exposure triangle.
What I really want to know more about is lighting. How to setup lighting for portraits and such.

Great book for beginners. Sounds like it may be too basic for you but it's still an enjoyable read. Use the site's search function. Tons of debate/info on the book.

Thanx for the replies.
GOod thing I didn't order it then.

Perfect book for beginning photography. I still read through it now and then. But for portraits/lighting it won't be of much value to you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I found that I knew most of the stuff, however there is more inside than just exposure that I thought was important and helped me.

Some stuff I do not agree with, he shoots a lot of f/22 shots, and on my lenses there is severe diffraction at this f-stop.

Last edited:
Some stuff I do not agree with, he shoots a lot of f/22 shots, and on my lenses there is severe diffraction at this f-stop.

Aye I would disagree with that as well when shooting on a 1.5 (nikon) or 1.6 (canon) crop sensor camera body - a little hazy if using a fullframe (35mm) since its right on the borderline.

However what one has to remember is that the ultimate definition of soft or sharp is not based necessarily on the 100% crop view, but on the view of the photo when output to its intended output - be that a webshot - a print - a poster etc... Thus some photographers will sacrifice 100% sharpness because they know that with good editing it won't necessarily show up in their main output medium

I found the book to contain fundamental errors -- it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Better than nothing for a beginner.

Joe

I found the book to contain fundamental errors -- it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Better than nothing for a beginner.

Joe

I really hate to argue especially over a forum since its mostly opinions but... That statement you made is just ridiculous! For a beginner the book does a great job of helping the reader understand the exposure triangle and why and when to use different SS or f/stop. Is it the best book , maybe not. But saying its not worth the paper its printed on is total nonsense! Maybe you have a better book to recommend???

For a beginner the book does a great job of helping the reader understand the exposure triangle and why and when to use different SS or f/stop.

I'm gonna have to second this. I've only just started reading it, so I cannot give a full opinion yet, but so far this book has been the easiest to understand, compared to others I've read, and seems great for someone who hasn't taken classes or been in photography for many years.

Joe

I really hate to argue especially over a forum since its mostly opinions but... That statement you made is just ridiculous! For a beginner the book does a great job of helping the reader understand the exposure triangle and why and when to use different SS or f/stop. Is it the best book , maybe not. But saying its not worth the paper its printed on is total nonsense! Maybe you have a better book to recommend???

Been over this before: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...228704-understanding-exposure-book-sucks.html

OK -- it's worth the paper it's printed on as long as you're not a beginner and don't "learn" some of the things that are wrong in this photo how-to-book. It's mostly right, but when you're teaching people who don't know and want to learn, giving them any wrong information is really really bad!

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back