Understanding Exposure

julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought Bryan Peterson's book that was recommended here on the forum. First of all, the book is amazing, so helpful and easy to understand. But I do have one question... in the beginning of the book he shows some photos and on the bottom he says what the f stop was, as well as the shutterspeed. But there's no mention of which ISO he used.
Any idea why that would be?

Thanks in advance.

julie

The likely answer is that he is trying to show the effect of different shutter speeds and apertures, and the ISO doesn't really matter.

Best,
Helen

I just bought Bryan Peterson's book that was recommended here on the forum. First of all, the book is amazing, so helpful and easy to understand. But I do have one question... in the beginning of the book he shows some photos and on the bottom he says what the f stop was, as well as the shutterspeed. But there's no mention of which ISO he used.
Any idea why that would be?

Thanks in advance.

julie

I forget what page this is on but at one point he says he uses ISO 100 about 99% of the time so it is probably ISO 100.

The last two pages I think are what explains ISO...lol. He mentions that almost all of his shots are ISO 100.

But in the early pages, it doesn't really matter. He's trying to show the affects of shutter speed, then aperture, and etc...

Pay attention to what he's talking about at the time...and you'll learn lots.

Hi all. I just registered for this site today. I have 4 years studio experience at the local Sears and I am starting to go on my own. I have done some engagement pics and some family pics but still not familiar with exposure, F stop, ISO, etc. What is the book you guys are referencing so I can pick it up. Thankfully my engagement shoot went ok they hired me for the wedding...

Thanks!!!!

Hi Harmonykaye. Welcome, but why don't you go to the welcome and intro's forum and introduce yourself. You will get a lot more welcomes there. BTW, glad you found us.

The book is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Great book to keep around. I bought it when I was teaching my grandson, I think he still has it. (because I can't seem to find it at the moment)

if I can jack the thread in regard to Peterson's book...

I am reading it at the moment off and on... he keeps mentioning he meters off something (say the blue sky), adjusts until a correct exposure is indicated (f/stop or shutter speed), recomposes (to shoot a tree let's say), then shoots his subject...

how is he metering effectively? I mean... I guess I am just not completely "getting it"... doh!

how is he metering effectively? I mean... I guess I am just not completely "getting it"... doh!

Simple!

First off he is in manual mode. Second he points the camera at (let's say) the sky, sets ISO/shutter speed/aperture or a combination thereof based on his meter.

He then points the camera at something else (a house, person, etc...). The camera is telling him his settings are wrong, but they are not. He focuses, and shoots without changing settings.

Thats "recomposing" without changing settings.

if I can jack the thread in regard to Peterson's book...

I am reading it at the moment off and on... he keeps mentioning he meters off something (say the blue sky), adjusts until a correct exposure is indicated (f/stop or shutter speed), recomposes (to shoot a tree let's say), then shoots his subject...

Either you manipulate your manual controls until the needle is in the center (or otherwise indicates a correct exposure)...or you shoot in an auto mode (other than auto hopefully), and you use your exposure lock setting. (the * button)

You get the exposure right for the area you meter off of...lock it, or use manual settings...and then you recompose and take the pic...ignoring the meter.

that's what I was thinking he was doing... that to me seems to always result in pic's that are not exposed properly...

too dark... to light... etc, etc, etc... I have much to learn...

thanks! thread jacking -> end

Most reactions

Back