Understanding White Balance in Portraiture- would LOve some input!

CorrieMichael

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1 $IMG_1941web.jpg2$IMG_1949web.jpg
The first image was set to sun in shade on my canon 40d, the second image was set to automatic......isn't the first one too warm?
When I took a picture of a white piece of paper and customize it the pictures were coming out green?
Which picture has more appropriate white balance? and why would my camera output a green picture when trying to customize my white balance? Thanks, Corrie

These images are SOOC

I'm not on a calibrated monitor right now, but to me the first one is way too warm, and the second while better, has a slight green cast.

The problem with using white paper as a white-balance target is that it is very rarely white - it can get you in the ball-park, but that's about it. Your best bet will be to actually buy a white or grey card and use that to determine your WB with.

Also important is calibrating your monitor, and when that's showing true colour, your end-product will be much better.

Your camera is not going to interpret white the same way we do. That is why it is such a problem in the first place. If you want to try this test again, you need an 18% gray card instead of a white sheet of paper. Shoot the card first then set a custom white balance or sync (if using LR) your white balance to this in PP.

The first one is definitely warm. Too warm? That's your call. I think the kid looks a little orange, myself, and would probably back it off a touch, but warm's a nice cozy tone. The second one feels too cool, to me, but looks like it's probably a pretty good "correct" white balance, the skin tones look very realistic.

As you can probably guess, I'd say that the "appropriate" white balance is between the two. It's your photograph, though, so you get to decide. Both images are within the realm of "acceptable" to my taste, and there's a world of room between them which, obviously, I would find acceptable as well. The feeling they produce is quite different, though, eh?

I can't answer which calibrating with a piece of white paper would go wrong, as least not without thinking so hard that my head hurts, so I will leave that to others!

The first one is warmER then the scene naturally was. The second one is more correct in the sence of presenting the reality.
The question is do you want it to be reality like? I belive the first one is much better for the viewer to look at.
If you necessarily want to get it correct use a graycard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back