underwater - my first images here

alcina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kjaphotos.com.au
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm brand new to this site so thought I'd start out with a few images from my underwater world here on the Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia.

Pink anemonefish in his anemone - and yes, they aren't pink ;)
afscene_01.jpg

White tip reef shark close up
whitetipHcu_02.jpg

Our big guys - whale shark
shark01.jpg

Master of disguise in wide angle - anglerfish (frogfish in US) with bait
anglerbait_01.jpg

Enjoy...

Those definately awesome. What are you shooting with........the whole set up for this. It's funny, I was watching this YouTube video of this guy who tried out a D3 up north....way up north and the pictures didn't look half as good as these do.

The exposrure looks great and you almost can't get a bad underwater picture. I'm not too crazy about the close-up shark picture and I wish there was a size reference for the Whale Shark. I know they are big though......

The first one is definately my favorite

~Michael~

I think the one with the anglerfish is really cool.. i studied it for 10 or 15 seconds before i read what you had above it.. something about that peice of coral looked funny.. if i were a fish id be toast! haha great pics

Is that a zebra shark?

Those are so cool. What type of camera do you use? Did you get a water encasing? Did the camera get damaged from it? Where did you take these, and were you scuba diving?

I've always wanted to take underwater pictures, but I've never invested too much into the thought of getting this done. You have to pay for a license to go scuba diving, right? And the equipment rentals...

Those definately awesome. What are you shooting with........the whole set up for this.
Thanks.

Canon 40D, Canon 100 macro (shark, anemonefish), Sigma 17-70 macro (whale shark, angler), Subal housing & ports, Inon strobes (2)

The exposrure looks great and you almost can't get a bad underwater picture. I'm not too crazy about the close-up shark picture and I wish there was a size reference for the Whale Shark. I know they are big though.....
~Michael~
Well, thanks on the exposures.

It's actually incredibly difficult to get good underwater images imho. Far more bad ones than good ones than on land!

Sorry you don't like the close up of the shark...just putting a bit different stuff than the usual more ID shots I see so often. Here's a photo of one cruising...
whitetipswim1.jpg

Whale shark was about 6-7m long. I have others with snorkellers in the water, but like this one better.

I think the one with the anglerfish is really cool.. i studied it for 10 or 15 seconds before i read what you had above it.. something about that peice of coral looked funny.. if i were a fish id be toast! haha great pics

Is that a zebra shark?
No, the close up is a white tip reef shark. The shark in the blue water is a whale shark.

Those are so cool.

What type of camera do you use? Did you get a water encasing? Did the camera get damaged from it? Where did you take these, and were you scuba diving?
See above for the gear. The gear protects the camera unless you have a flood or leak. It's already expensive enough without having to think you're going to damage the camera every time you take it in!

All photos are from the Ningaloo Reef and yes, I was scuba diving.

I've always wanted to take underwater pictures, but I've never invested too much into the thought of getting this done. You have to pay for a license to go scuba diving, right? And the equipment rentals...
Yes, you need to do training to scuba dive. There are dive shops everywhere that can help you - no matter how land locked you are!

It's not a cheap hobby, but neither is photography ;)

They are amazing.
And I totally LOVE the close-up of the reef shark! It is so wonderfully :shock: whoa! :shock:

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, Kristin. I think you have A LOT to add!

Most reactions

Back