Underwater photography

Ganoderma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any pointers on it? i head out next week on vacation and bout an underwater video camera which has low quality photos as well (Sanyo Xacti HD Waterproof).

one thing i am concerned about is the lower light levels under water (mind you i will be in shallow water mostly, less than 20 feet, and moving fish. i was thinking trying to crank up the shutter speed and put fstop at 1.8 and crank up the ISO, i know that gives me what i want in terms of catching moving things in dim light, but the pictres look so grainy and.....crappy.... any tips on that?

any other general tips for underwater photography? i am not new to snorkeling and swimming, but totally new with a camera doing htose things!

No way to get around noise except by having a better sensor, not when you crank-up ISO. Take it down a stop or two to get things cleaner. In shallow water, as long as it's daylight, there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

Just, be careful to not go over the camera's depth limit.

never done underwater shooting but Read how resistant your camera really is... it might be the case it can only go 2 metres underwater or less

bummer. oh well i am super hyped about it. any pointers on getting shots of those moving fish? i am REALLY hoping to get some good ones of the sharks, sea snakes and sea turtles...but the turtles are the only ones that sometimes move uber slow so should be ok.

thanks guys :)

You can use flash, just don't aim it ahead of you or you'll capture all the crap floating in the water.

Also try to have the sun behind you.

Underwater photography is tough without spending serious $$$ on equipment, but it can be done.

lighting is the most important part of underwater photography. See if you can get some strobes or underwater lights

Most reactions

Back