Unhappy with wedding photos... help!

I would take them up with her, but she is not responding. I appreciate all your opinions on this though. And if this is not the correct site to post this on, would you be so kind as to direct me to the correct forum? Thank you.

FYI: If the photographer has any business sense, all those who follow the OPs link will show up on her web site as a Referral.

In other words, she will be able to easily find this thread with no problem.

I'm totally fine if she posts her own side. I'm just trying to be honest and getting some advice. I have no intention of slandering anyone. I've wanted to keep it to myself, but every time I look at the photos it just makes me want to have a do-over with a different photographer. Don't get me wrong, she's an awesome person and I have nothing against her.

I now own the copyrights.

This all sounds so familiar. Didn't we just go through this a few weeks ago?

amandajohill said:

Are you sure though? Most (not all) photographers do not give the customer the copyrights to the photos they buy. I'm not saying you don't own the copyrights and I don't know where your from but in the US the copyright stays with the photographer unless they specifically gave it to you in a contract, I believe. I have heard of some photographers doing so but they are usually Facebook-type photographers.

If you can't get in touch with the photographer then you have a few options. Edit/fix them yourself if you want. Read your contract, contact a lawyer and see if the photographer broke the contract in anyway and find out what/if you can do about it.

Technically, the copyright stays with the photographer. What you have is a right granted from her. I hope you have it in writing.

Are you sure you have the copyright or just unlimited printing rights? If you have the copyright, you should get the RAW files to make the attempted butchering of her photos a little easier. I agree with Bitter, you got a $1,300 wedding and you should be happy you didn't get a $500. I browsed a few pages and was expecting to see horrendous photos. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sorry but I can't get on the pity bandwagon. And don't worry about high dollar editing programs. You can still use picnik for a few more weeks. You'll have Facebook style images in no time. Good luck!

amandajohill said:
wedding photographers in new orleans

You can see here that I have the copy right release.

I already saw that on the photographers site. I don't care if you own it or not but some photographers use copyright releases to allow people to print their pictures - and the website says they give you a disc and a copyright release. The photographer still retains ownership of the copyright.

Example of another copyright release
http://www.westonphotography.net/pdf/photographycopyrightrelease.pdf

I have no idea what your copyright release says. It doesn't really matter to me if you own the rights or not. I just can't believe that a photographer - whose been in business 8 years - doesn't mind if some random person edits their work. I've seen millions of threads on other forums where photographers are complaining that someone edited their pictures.

No, she is totally fine with someone editing them. I have her stating that in an email.

Tee said:
With 'copy' and 'right' separated, I'm thinking she means printing rights which is different from copyright. That's on her to clarify. Still, I stand by my previous post above.

And it's listed with the CD so I'm assuming it's just a release to allow printing.

Wow, not the friendliest of people on this site... a few were nice and thank you to them.

If you're really going to get these retouched then please take my friendly advice: ask Brenda Sison for the RAW images (she'll know what you're talking about). You're going to do yourself no favors using a resized jpeg for retouching. See...I am friendly. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back