Unheard of Camera Issue

mo_tography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
maureenmillerphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so I have Canon 5D that has an issue I've never heard of, nor can I find any information on.

When I look through the viewfinder, I see only a circle of visible image, as if the picture were vignetted. This does not change when I change lenses, nor when I change settings or anything on my camera. I've asked several other professionals I know, but no one seems to know what could be wrong. Now, I will take it to a shop if necessary, but this is my main camera for work so I would rather not have to leave it somewhere to be worked on.

Has anyone heard of this happening before or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Take the lens off. Is it still there without a lens? Look in the view finder, you will see something.

What 5D is it? 5DMkII? are you using EF or EF-S lenses?

As far as I know the 5D won't take EFS lenses on its mount without an adaptor or some modification. So I assume your not using an EFS lens (which would give the effect you describe).
Other than that I can't help - sorry

It's a Canon EOS 5D which uses EF lenses, sorry for not being a little more specific.
Yes, the problem persists even without the lenses attached. It's very strange.

Take the lens off. Is it still there without a lens? Look in the view finder, you will see something.

What 5D is it? 5DMkII? are you using EF or EF-S lenses?

I have to assume it's the first generation 5D, it did not have an "MK" designation, it was just the EOS 5D

*EDIT*
Damnit, I need to read and type faster :lol:

The mirror could possibly be an issue, though I've checked it and can't find a problem.
Do have any recommendations on how to re-align it, or is that best left to a professional?

Unless you have experience with fixing hte innerds of cameras I would say best thing is to let a professional deal with it. If if its a recent shop purchase then you should be able to get it fixed under warrenty

Canon 5D's have a issue with the mirror coming unglued and falling off. A few months ago, Canon sent out a press release announcing a free repair, which involves attaching two retaining clips, one on each side of the mirror, to hold the mirror on securely.

Here is the official Canon USA web page announcing the repair.

Support - EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - EOS 5D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

As Cano states: "Thank you for using Canon products.

We have discovered that, in rare instances, the main mirror of some EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras may detach due to deterioration in the strength of the adhesive. Accordingly, we would like to convey the details and our service policy concerning this phenomenon."

My 5D had a problem where the mirror started to warp and get sort of an "oil slick" look around the edges and I think it was the beginnings of the problem you mentioned. I think it was from heat, but I'm not certain.

If it's not the mirror, it might be the pentaprism as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back