Unlike SONY, Adobe is on a roll!

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[h=1]Adobe Profit Tops Estimates[/h]
Adobe Systems Inc. (ADBE)
, the largest maker of graphic-design software, reported fiscal first-quarter sales and profit that exceeded analysts’ estimates as more customers adopted online versions of its products.

Sales for the period that ended March 1 were $1.01 billion, San Jose, California-based Adobe said in a statement today. That topped the average $985.8 million projection, according to analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Profit excluding some items was 35 cents a share, beating a prediction for 31 cents.
Chief Executive Officer Shantanu Narayen is pushing to sell more products over the Web and on mobile devices such as tablets, aiming to lessen Adobe’s reliance on software that’s installed and stored on computers. Adobe added 153,000 paying customers to its Creative Cloud tools -- including Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator -- during the first quarter.

“The speed of the transition is the paramount thing on investors’ minds,” said Steven Ashley, an analyst at Robert W. Baird & Co. Ashley, who is based in Milwaukee and has a neutral rating for Adobe shares, had estimated 127,000 new subscribers. “We all know this is the transition year.”

Shares of Adobe jumped as much as 7.2 percent in extended trading after declining less than 1 percent to $40.75 at the close in New York. The stock has gained 8.1 percent so far this year.

Adobe Profit Tops Estimates as Web Software Sales Jum - Bloomberg

Keeping things on the 2WheelPhoto kinda' level of thinking...if Sony were a motorcycle, it would have no front wheel or forks!@!@!@ But it would have some spiffy handlebars on top!!!! And a really nice-lookin' chromed headlight housing. And a simply goooooooooorgeous taillight setup!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT!
iconstirthepot.gif

I am a total ignorant when comes to this thing so I would welcome a quick explanation:
35 cents a share, what it means ? A profit of 35 cents from $40 investment per year ?n Or is that 35% ?

Adobe Profit Tops Estimates

Adobe Systems Inc. (ADBE)
, the largest maker of graphic-design software, reported fiscal first-quarter sales and profit that exceeded analysts’ estimates as more customers adopted online versions of its products.

Sales for the period that ended March 1 were $1.01 billion, San Jose, California-based Adobe said in a statement today. That topped the average $985.8 million projection, according to analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Profit excluding some items was 35 cents a share, beating a prediction for 31 cents.
Chief Executive Officer Shantanu Narayen is pushing to sell more products over the Web and on mobile devices such as tablets, aiming to lessen Adobe’s reliance on software that’s installed and stored on computers. Adobe added 153,000 paying customers to its Creative Cloud tools -- including Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator -- during the first quarter.

“The speed of the transition is the paramount thing on investors’ minds,” said Steven Ashley, an analyst at Robert W. Baird & Co. Ashley, who is based in Milwaukee and has a neutral rating for Adobe shares, had estimated 127,000 new subscribers. “We all know this is the transition year.”

Shares of Adobe jumped as much as 7.2 percent in extended trading after declining less than 1 percent to $40.75 at the close in New York. The stock has gained 8.1 percent so far this year.

Adobe Profit Tops Estimates as Web Software Sales Jum - Bloomberg

So the rather important question is: Are you invested in Adobe? and have you made a profit?

I am a total ignorant when comes to this thing so I would welcome a quick explanation:
35 cents a share, what it means ? A profit of 35 cents from $40 investment per year ?n Or is that 35% ?

Percentage increase in the share themselves will determine your profit (minus tax - and brokerage fees to sell). The earnings per share they are referring to is expected earnings per share vs. what the company really earned per share the past quarter...and in this case Adobe blew past wall str. expectations. And I contrasted with Sony, because Sony hasn't even been able to "meet" expectations.

Beating expectations has almost nothing to do with how well you run your company, and almost everything to do with how well you are managing your communications with the analysts.

Having positive earnings per share is usually, but by no means always, an indication of a company that is better run than a company that has losses per share.

In other words, take all this reporting with a big fat grain of salt.

Beating expectations has almost nothing to do with how well you run your company, and almost everything to do with how well you are managing your communications with the analysts.

Having positive earnings per share is usually, but by no means always, an indication of a company that is better run than a company that has losses per share.

In other words, take all this reporting with a big fat grain of salt.

But its no secret Adobe is operating at a profit and SONY is operating at a LOSS heheheheh....

Yes. And as I said, operating at a profit is usually, but not always, an indication of a better run company. The devil's in the details. If Sony pulls it together, hindsight will show that they were operating at a loss for something in the area of a year AFTER the turning point, most likely. It's the way these things work.

I hope SONY does pull it off too

NOT turning a profit in, oh, SEVEN consecutive years is, uh, the kinda way SONY has been doing business....posting record losses, quarter after quarter...losing face in Japan...losing out on innovation to upstart, vastly undercapitalized competitors, losing its historical dominance in multiple areas...all signs that SONY has lost the plot. Sorry amolitor, I know you are a smart man, but are you somehow utterly,totally ignorant of how BADLY-RUN SONY is as a corporation?

I mean, c'mon, SONY's business practices, inter- and even intra-divisional infighting, and overall organizational incompetences (plural) are the stuff that the business web sites the world over have been using as cautionary tales for years now. SONY is a horribly,horribly run company, and is bleeding money for quarter after quarter, for years on end now. SONY has one successful division out of many...their gaming division....the rest are utter,total losers, left on auto-pilot in a slow death spiral.

Sony has not had a single hit product in YEARS. Literally, in YEARS!!!!! The sole exeption: Playstation.

Samsung and Apple and LG, and others have taken SONY's lunch money, friends, dog, cat, and pride.

NOT turning a profit in, oh, SEVEN consecutive years is, uh, the kinda way SONY has been doing business....posting record losses, quarter after quarter...losing face in Japan...losing out on innovation to upstart, vastly undercapitalized competitors, losing its historical dominance in multiple areas...all signs that SONY has lost the plot. Sorry amolitor, I know you are a smart man, but are you somehow utterly,totally ignorant of how BADLY-RUN SONY is as a corporation?

I mean, c'mon, SONY's business practices, inter- and even intra-divisional infighting, and overall organizational incompetences (plural) are the stuff that the business web sites the world over have been using as cautionary tales for years now. SONY is a horribly,horribly run company, and is bleeding money for quarter after quarter, for years on end now. SONY has one successful division out of many...their gaming division....the rest are utter,total losers, left on auto-pilot in a slow death spiral.

Sony has not had a single hit product in YEARS. Literally, in YEARS!!!!! The sole exeption: Playstation.

Samsung and Apple and LG, and others have taken SONY's lunch money, friends, dog, cat, and pride.

iconhammer.gif

And I was trying to be kind and soften the tone about SONY tanking and leaving both customers and investors with crap!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back