UNR Volleyball Coverage

I shot a college volleyball game for a friend (daughter on the team). Not going to lie I didnt have fast glass and had to crank up my ISO way too high. Lighting was terrible. Got a sinking feeling standing next to the schools photographer with a 400mm f/2.8....
But I think the part that bothered me the most was if I wanted to shoot the team face on that darn net always got in the way!

Finding the spot might be tricky, yes.

Here's a few tips:

You can't shoot all the touches from the same spot. You need to move around. Perhaps it would be easier to focus on one team at the time, seeing as the net is dividing the field in two. Position yourself to get good kills. Would be cool if you manage to capture a good "back set" (player setting the ball back over their head). Volleyball is a quick sport, so you must be ready. If the kill comes from the middle position, you're likely to miss it if you're not paying attention. It's not like football where you can follow the ball, or anticipate where it's going. You must be ready for the ball, be lucky in your framing. Basic understanding of rotational systems wouldn't hurt either ;)

Compaq,

Ha ha I was focused on one team, i do understand the rotation but you're right it's a quick sport and I avoided "action" shots because of the slow shutter speed issue. EVERYTHING was a blur, the ball wasn't even a streak. I hate the look of high iso and ya my glass only went to f4. Maybe i'm just making excuses, hopefully I get another chance to shoot something like this.

spacefuzz,

Thanks that's exactly how I felt.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with McGavin. Without the skimpy bikinis and tan, sweaty skin, what's the point? :sexywink:

raise the ISO. High grainy ISO with proper shutter speed will trump any shots with shutter that is too slow for the action shot.

Also shoot in RAW so you can correct that pesky gym lighting color cast

Yup. A 5 set match lasts pretty long, and you should have enough time to take some high iso shots. Noise can be reduced in photoshop easily, and you would be able to get some action shots.

Take it as a learning experience :)

The ISO on the 50D CAN be pushed UP. It's a little noisy, but if you are overexposing properly the noise removal in adobe camera raw or lightroom alone will clear it up pretty darned easily. Be sure to set a custom white balance because the color temperature does have a bearing on how light and dark things can appear. Too much yellow appears much lighter than too much blue!!!
I have shot inside some of the worst EVER gyms with the 50D at f/2.8, 12800 ISO and a shutter of about 1/500 and gotten stunning results. Here's one:
5557081993_462daff4a7_b.jpg

I've shot quite a bit of both indoor and beach at all levels and it is one of those sports that if you start trying too hard to get the spike or the dives, all the while trying to switch from one camera to the next you will end up with alot of missed action. I usually shoot from two spots and almost always work with a 300 2.8 or 400 2.8, for indoor games I like to shoot from well back and under the net, this gives you your best opportunities for serve setups or spike retuns, dives etc. I also shoot high from the back over top of the net for blocks. Beach is easier to shoot, fewer players, more dives, easier to follow the players. I think what you shoot is good as a "story" looking past the action and at things others don't shoot, you've kept your eyes open and that is key to setting yourself apart.

I've shot quite a bit of both indoor and beach at all levels and it is one of those sports that if you start trying too hard to get the spike or the dives, all the while trying to switch from one camera to the next you will end up with alot of missed action. I usually shoot from two spots and almost always work with a 300 2.8 or 400 2.8, for indoor games I like to shoot from well back and under the net, this gives you your best opportunities for serve setups or spike retuns, dives etc. I also shoot high from the back over top of the net for blocks. Beach is easier to shoot, fewer players, more dives, easier to follow the players. I think what you shoot is good as a "story" looking past the action and at things others don't shoot, you've kept your eyes open and that is key to setting yourself apart.

I am new to shooting volleyball this year and I am having a hell of a time with the 200mm being too close. I can use any and all of the pointers you can give me. Treat me like I am dumb as a stump because Volleyball is KILLING me!!

my first foray into it I took only the 70-200 out and one camera... I was so tight with the 70-200 I was missing everything and really missing focus. So I switched to the 28-75. You know how that went... it's wide enough to get everything and then some, but not enough zoom to get the close blood sweat and tears of the game.
Are you using a zone to focus? And which one? Where exactly are you positioning yourself? Are you shooting fast enough to stop the ball? Or just to stop the players in motion? ANYTHING!!! Thanks!!!

Learning to use longer lenses takes time, and is definately more difficult to use than a wide. Shooting sports is all timing and practice, it's one of the most difficult fields to be good in, inspite of all the weekend warriors figuring that all they need is a camera. I shoot as fast as I can, 500th is the minimum speed and even with that you won't stop a spike, watch for the blocks at the net, it always makes for good images. If you study the game, watch the practices you'll start to see patterns, how the team starts to move and then where the sets are going, what you want to do is concentrate on the block at the net. As most of the gyms are dark, up the iso to where the noise isn't really bad, try shooting at 3.2-4 that will give you a little bit of depth. It's just go out and practice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back