unsharp mask

metroshane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can someone please explain masks (especially the unsharp mask I hear so much about). I'm pretty smart, just ignorant...so get as technical as you want.

Hey Shane, I was just planning on adding unsharp mask to the tips section this evening. The best way to do it is to switch to lab mode (image > mode > lab) then on the channels tab select lightness and apply the unsharp mask. For prints I use between 100-150%. Then you can switch back to RGB mode.

is it really necessary to go to lab? i sharpen in rgb; is there some advantage to converting and sharpening just the lightness channel of luminosity?
also, unsharp mask is kinda misleading- it's found in the filter section...

Osmer_Toby said:
is it really necessary to go to lab? i sharpen in rgb; is there some advantage to converting and sharpening just the lightness channel of luminosity?
also, unsharp mask is kinda misleading- it's found in the filter section...
Yes, it yields better results. That way you aren't messing with the color information in the image.

Ok, the tutorial is complete. You can see the difference between sharpening in Lab vs RGB mode :D

voo, thats an excellent tutorial.. but the final results i am not sure why you blew up the final comparison, i am have a hard time distinguish the difference between the two :scratch:

however, when i went and tried the lab thingy on one of my photos and the results were amazin! Thats one of the best darn tips i've learned in while!

I blew it up because you can see the difference in the noise on the samples. The one done in RGB mode has a lot of stray color pixels, the one done in Lab mode does not.

Thanks for the lab tip. Here's another. You can use the unsharp mask to add contrast to a photo as well. Using a setting like 20%, 50, 0 will add a subtle contrast boost to your image, and then you can run your normal unsharp mask setting afterwards. I normally use 500%, 0.2, 0, or 300%, 0.3, 0.

I got this tip from the Luminous Landscape. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml

Most reactions

New Topics

Back