What's new

Untitled at the Moment - C&C Welcome

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
14,457
Reaction score
3,329
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Macro%20Daffodils%20-%20First%20Try%20-%20038.jpg


I don't usually do flowers, so I'm curious of thoughts and reactions.
 
very artistic, im liking the area of the back of the flower pedals more than the pedals itself though...
 
Um flowers? ok cat stop pretending to be manaheim. Untie him from wherever you have hidden him and give him control of his camera back. :greenpbl:
 
This shot is certainly well focused and well framed, but due to the blown out areas on the back petals, it has two competing areas of focus. I know that custom lighting isn't always possible, especially for things attached to the ground, but if you have a way of bouncing light behind (to bring the main part up a couple stops), or an off camera fill flash, I think it would improve the shot overall.

That being said, I've never gotten a flower shot that I'm satisfied with myself, so I know just how difficult it is.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Thanks, all.... and :lol: mc. :)

clarinet... I actually have a LOT of shots of various lighting setups on this flower... I actually liked this one in part because of the little blown out bits, but let me think on your comments a bit. Thanks for the feedback!
 
I just looked at your site and you have some fantastic shots in your 'other' folder.

(and this is all completely subjective) I just am sick of pictures of flowers, I have seen so many shots very similar to this, thousands of them, I just don't find them interesting and have started to despise them in a big way, Aesthetically, this is a good photo. But it's of a flower, so I hate it.
 
The blown out areas provide an explosiveness that I like but the lower middle right melts into an uninterestingness that drags on the whole image.
 
The composition, focus and color are all very nice indeed, but I have to agree with clarinet about the white areas.
 
Echoing everyone else, the blown-out areas just kill it.
 
I just am sick of pictures of flowers, I have seen so many shots very similar to this, thousands of them, I just don't find them interesting and have started to despise them in a big way, Aesthetically, this is a good photo. But it's of a flower, so I hate it.

I know what you mean. I'm starting to feel as if flowers are becoming something of a cliche in the world of photography, which is why i stray away from doing them. I still admire this shot though

and i sort of disagree with everyone else, the blown out bits actually gives the flower more of a high energy feel to it which i like. without it, it's just another flower pic..
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
People have a tendency to see blown out areas as a final failing, but I did this one as a choice... sometimes folks don't like it or find it distracting or whatever, and that's cool, but sometimes I think it lends something.

Anyway... I actually AGREE on the flower shots. So laffles statements are really funny to me because I'm usually like "zzzzzzzzzz... it's a flower...who gives a crap?!" But I was interested to play with it and see what I could do that might be interesting, so here we are. :)

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Interesting discussion.
 
I'm not generally a blown out = bad type person. It does often add something to the composition, and it's a style that I do like, I just don't think this particular photo supports it as well as others might.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
I'm not generally a blown out = bad type person. It does often add something to the composition, and it's a style that I do like, I just don't think this particular photo supports it as well as others might.

I can respect that. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom