What's new

Hobbies outside Photography

kayumanggisnapshot15 14

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
124
Reaction score
142
Location
Okinawa Japan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What hobbies do you enjoy outside photography? If I’m not doing photography, I usually play kendama or Japanese koma. Kendama is a traditional Japanese skill toy that teaches balance, rhythm, and patience — every clean landing feels intentional. Koma has that classic, old-school charm that makes you appreciate quiet moments. I’m curious what hobbies keep you grounded when you’re away from the camera.
IMG_5323.webp
 
Other than photography (75% BW darkroom)......
-I build 1/24-1/25 plastic models kits, mostly cars but some planes.
-I LOVE to build and play with Lego.
-Building a drum kit because I miss playing (rock, jazz).
-Listening to and collecting vinyl LP's. Classical, classic rock, jazz.
-Watching and collecting (sometimes just for the cover art) VHS tapes.
-I'm also a collector of........cameras, radios (some TV's), vintage Matchbox cars (and other die-cast), cabinet card photos, 35mm slides, 8mm/16mm -movies-cameras-projectors, typewriters, board games, Avon bottle cars, cartoon paperbacks (mostly Peanuts, Wizard of Id and B.C.). And just any thing that is old and cool.
-And my BIG hobby is my Ford Mustang's. Always doing something to my daily driver, 99 Mustang coupe and I'm in the process of rebuilding my 88 5.0 convertible for the 2nd time. Had 3 Mustang's but sold my 85 coupe before I moved due to big time rust underneath.

Needless to say I will NOT be bored when I retire.......LOL
 
Other than photography (75% BW darkroom)......
-I build 1/24-1/25 plastic models kits, mostly cars but some planes.
-I LOVE to build and play with Lego.
-Building a drum kit because I miss playing (rock, jazz).
-Listening to and collecting vinyl LP's. Classical, classic rock, jazz.
-Watching and collecting (sometimes just for the cover art) VHS tapes.
-I'm also a collector of........cameras, radios (some TV's), vintage Matchbox cars (and other die-cast), cabinet card photos, 35mm slides, 8mm/16mm -movies-cameras-projectors, typewriters, board games, Avon bottle cars, cartoon paperbacks (mostly Peanuts, Wizard of Id and B.C.). And just any thing that is old and cool.
-And my BIG hobby is my Ford Mustang's. Always doing something to my daily driver, 99 Mustang coupe and I'm in the process of rebuilding my 88 5.0 convertible for the 2nd time. Had 3 Mustang's but sold my 85 coupe before I moved due to big time rust underneath.

Needless to say I will NOT be bored when I retire.......LOL
A couple degenerate friends are looking at building a basement-filling four lane slot car track for 1/24 scale stuff. Long winters up here do strange things to some men...
 
I have a few hobbies besides photography.

I like to ride my motorcycle, especially on backroads. Been known to just turn on a road and ride to see where it leads me.

I like to take my camera along in case I find something interesting.

Besides riding my motorcycle and shooting photos, I also like to shoot firearms. I go to the range with a few of my friends and we shoot a little and yak a lot while drinking lots of coffee. Oh, and sometimes doughnuts.

Those are probably the best examples of semi-organized hobbies.

I also like to travel with my wife. We like beaches best.
 
Last edited:
Aside from some painting, I do image transfers with some of my photos, using collage on wooden panels or canvas.

I used to do a lot of alternative photographic techniques (bromoil prints, lith prints), since I'm mainly a film photographer. A lot of my resources for these (certain enlarger papers and chemistry) have been discontinued.

1000013711.webp


I love riding my bike (as weather permits in the Northern US), gardening, growing herbs, cooking, traveling. And I'm always reading something or other. 📚
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom