What's new

Untitled

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
2,368
Location
Somewhere in Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From a set I took on my way home from work yesterday.
C&C welcome as always.

20130405_1967-X2.jpg
 
Not sure on this one...most of me likes it and some of me wonders if there is enoug context to make a judgement...always a dichotomy with me. :sexywink:
 
I call this kind of shot "shadowplay". I see what attracted you to this. I think a tiny bit more black at the top would tremendously reinforce the shot and what is actually happening here with the light and shadows. That thin sliver of black at the verrrrrry top of the frame is not enough to really throw emphasis onto the large light pool here. But then,OTOH, I can see you've balanced the thickness of the thin yellow line at the top with an equally thin black line at the top, in an echo of the central black/yellow line pair. So maybe that was deliberate.

I enjoy these kinds of shots. To me, if I had to really analyze this, I think what would help a lot is a more-open shadow rendering on the right hand side; to me, the shadow on the railing goes from the sunlighted part of the yellow-painted railing, and then into a deep black zone that is simply too abrupt, too "dark", and not quite the way the human eye would render it. It's just too abrupt in contrast. I'd add fill light in post, then tweak the curves and re-adjust the blacks, to hit a more-realisitc, more "human-eye-like" rendering of the sunlight/shadow juxtapositions.
 
Thanks guys!

You make a good point Derrel regarding the lack of detail in the shadow area on the right. It bothered me as well but I wasn't sure what to do about it.
I'll take another stab at it and see how it turns out.
As for the the thin black at the top - that's just a border. Not sure if you're looking for more border or no border. ;)

Thanks again for taking the time.
 
I like the new version better (both the crop and the passe-partout)
 
Now, I like all of it!
 
I just noticed something VERY interesting: this photo "feels like" it is a vertical!!!! But it is not! I remembered the photo from yesterday, early in the day, and this this AM, as a I came back to the thread, before I actually got the thread opened, I expected to see a "tall" shot!! Now...that's pretty cool!

I was thinking about a better way to describe the depth of the shadows...it's almost kind of like a color slide film compression of tonal range. The original imge had that quick transition from highlight to shadow, much the way, oh, say Kodachrome 64 exhibited. I have found sun-lighted yellow to be a tough color many times...it doesn;t take much overexposure in digital to make yellow go nuclear.

I think the re-worked, bordered shot works quite well. I love that big, "tall" concrete shape in amongst the shadows.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom