Unusual Effect

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what to call this. (I'm not about to use or reference the most misused and misunderstood term in the photographic lexicon.) Was out in the garden early morning two days ago where the lilies and day lilies are blooming. Took a photo of day lilies in direct sun with some dew drops in the background and got this (enlarged 100%):

odd_bokeh.jpg

I have to assume I'm seeing some kind of reflection of the lens iris. Must have been directly on axis. Here's the full image.

Joe

day_lilies.jpg

Stop zooming in and freaking us out! lol jk Maybe it is a reflection, people get those reflections in water droplets that are much larger. I dunno, ask a scientist, try the Edgerton center at MIT. (Just mentioned that in another thread, if nothing else there are fun interesting things on their site. So then you'll forget about this and can sleep well tonight... lol)

Stop zooming in and freaking us out! lol jk Maybe it is a reflection, people get those reflections in water droplets that are much larger. I dunno, ask a scientist, try the Edgerton center at MIT. (Just mentioned that in another thread, if nothing else there are fun interesting things on their site. So then you'll forget about this and can sleep well tonight... lol)

I was just zooming in to do a little spotting and thought at first I was seeing a spot. Then I saw the pattern and then I saw a bunch more. I think it has to be the lens iris one way or the other -- just never seen anything like it before -- open to other speculation though. Otherwise the photo is fine.

Joe

Beautiful bokeh.

LoL

Intriguing little puzzle... more seriously I've never seen anything like that. Are you going to do any experimenting? try some more shots of dewdrops maybe from a different distance or something?

Intriguing little puzzle... more seriously I've never seen anything like that. Are you going to do any experimenting? try some more shots of dewdrops maybe from a different distance or something?

I've never seen it either. I was hand-holding the camera and so I did shoot a couple focus brackets (3). In each of those the camera position shifted a little and sure enough it's in all of them but most pronounced in this one. I've taken lots of similar photos with the same camera and never seen anything like it.

Joe

Just to point out that the lilies also have 6 sides and that it's probably their reflection?

(I've always thought photographers spend too much time looking at their cameras and not enough time looking at the subject... ;);))

Last edited:
Just to point out that the lilies also have 6 sides and that it's probably their reflection?

(I've always thought photographers spend too much time looking at their cameras and not enough time looking at the subject... ;);))

I thought of that too, but I can't see it. The lilies sure don't have the clean outside dimensions of a hexagon.

Joe

I thought of that too, but I can't see it. The lilies sure don't have the clean outside dimensions of a hexagon.

Joe

Highly distorted reflections off convex mirrors, (dew drops), of a 6 bladed orange object and a 6 bladed orange object in the middle of the photo?

Besides I do not see any clean lines in the reflections, perhaps the illusion of the hexagon comes from the 6 blades and how they're reflected, a lot of them look more circular. You may be over-thinking this and dismissing the blindingly obvious. ;);)

Joe

Highly distorted reflections off convex mirrors, (dew drops), of a 6 bladed orange object and a 6 bladed orange object in the middle of the photo?

Besides I do not see any clean lines in the reflections, perhaps the illusion of the hexagon comes from the 6 blades and how they're reflected, a lot of them look more circular. You may be over-thinking this and dismissing the blindingly obvious. ;);)

The lilies is a possibility -- some orange, some not orange.

Joe

I have seen something sort of similar when photographing baseball using the old 400/3.5 ED~IF Nikkor prime lens, when there was back-lighted chain link fencing in the background some 100-200 feet behind closer subjects, there were odd-shaped (diamond-shaped),bright, OOF highlight bokeh balls.

Most reactions

Back