Up a tree... I'm crazy

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just can't get enough Ospreys. I met up with a new friend through my FB page because she wanted to show me an Osprey nest. As soon as I saw this tree I knew I was scurrying up it to get a better vantage point.. I haven't climbed a tree in many a moon... Never with 6 pounds of glass strapped to my chest...

1 I'm nuts....

Me in a tree photographing an Osprey nest by krisinct, on Flickr

2 Mom was yelling at junior...

Osprey getting ready for first flight 5 by krisinct, on Flickr

3 Mom flew away and junior looked at me like WTH???

Osprey getting ready for first flight 4 by krisinct, on Flickr

4 Junior really tried...

Osprey getting ready for first flight 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

5 No luck. Talons never left the nest... Maybe tomorrow

Osprey getting ready for first flight 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

"show me an osprey nest" Did you show her your CD collection after?!
hehe

:wink: Lol, tough crowd here... The things I do to sell a signed print :)

What a playa!! :greenpbl:

CC, nice shots, but I have to ask myself what's next - hanging off a cliff to get some eagle shots, but then you never know about these FB folks. I hope you at least offered to cook her dinner in return for the osprey info. :mrgreen:

Nest looks like it has been placed on an artificial stand. Any idea why?

WesternGuy

Whatever it takes to get the shot, great Youtube vid if that branch broke, FailArmy here we come.

WesternGuy

By the 70s, the effects of DDT had really decimated the Osprey population and they were on the endangered species list. In an effort to save the species, many areas built these artificial platforms and nests. It apparently worked; the osprey are once again thriving. In 1983, the species was downgraded to "Threatened" and today they are listed as "Least Concern." It's a nice success story, and these artificial platforms had at least a small part in making it possible.

Kris--Love these. I've been watching "my" juveniles, and JUST missed (probably by hours, if not just minutes) getting to see their first flights, but I did get some lovely shots of them practicing. I'm hoping to get them posted today.

I believe it still is law if a nest is on a power line / power poles, or any other thing where it may not be best. A man made nest holding device has to be built near by and the nest transfered

WesternGuy

By the 70s, the effects of DDT had really decimated the Osprey population and they were on the endangered species list. In an effort to save the species, many areas built these artificial platforms and nests. It apparently worked; the osprey are once again thriving. In 1983, the species was downgraded to "Threatened" and today they are listed as "Least Concern." It's a nice success story, and these artificial platforms had at least a small part in making it possible.

Sharon is 100% correct. I have 100's of these artificial nests within 20 miles of my house... ok maybe 5 miles. but that is why I am Mr. Osprey :) Ospreys are everywhere I look in CT right now... It's a good time to live here if you are a birder...

Most reactions

Back