Up Coming Wedding. Newbie needs help

PhotoCalifornia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello pro's
I have been really into photography for a few years, and even run a buisness as a fine and street art photography and some product photography, and a lot of sports. My best friend is getting married and they asked me to be the wedding photographer. I am confident in my equipment and skill, I just do not know what shots to get, can anyone give me a list of go to shots.

Ive done a couple for friends and friends of friends, still not pro but I found the best way (for me) is to tell them to ignore you and enjoy the day. I got much more natural smiles and things, less awkward shots. I struggled with getting them to pose correctly (directing people) at the start...

I bet if you searched on Google, or Pinterest even, you could find a pretty comprehensive list of the "must haves".

When we hired our wedding photographer she sent me a list of all the shots she tries to get and had me edit it. I took some shots out that weren't all that important to me (though I'm sure she still captured those if the opportunity presented itself) and added any extra shots that I really wanted and sent it back to her. I might still have it somewhere - I will look and if I do I'll shoot you a PM with it.

Also note, she stressed to us that there were no truly guaranteed shots. That anything could happen and something may be missed. We obviously trusted her -- she'd never missed a super important moment before (walking down the isle, first kiss, etc) and she had a second shooter as well, but still something that is important to tell clients.

Ok, you got some pretty positive answers here. I am in the Google it camp since there are so many options out there to pick from.

Now be ready to get hammered. Newbies shooting a wedding, let alone a friends wedding can and have taken some heat from members in the past. So pull on your big kid panties and be ready.

My take on this is that if it's one of my best friends I don't want to be taking photographs, I want to enjoy and join in on the celebration of their new life together. Taking the pictures tosses that out the window.

Good luck.

The key is preparation. Sit down with the bride and groom (mainly the bride; grooms don't really serve any purpose at weddings, at least as far as I can tell) and find out exactly how the ceremony is supposed to go. You should have a 'map' in your pocket of what time what is going to happen, and more importantly, in what sequence. Where & when does she plan to toss the boquet, where is the register, what is the route of the recssional, etc, etc; which of these are critical to her? Is this a conventional North American type protestant wedding, a Catholic wedding or one of an entirely different faith? Know this in advance so that you can review the process and be able to prompt the bride, "What about...?" Also ask the couple if there are any special people, for instance did 92 year old Aunt Mary travel all the way from North Gumboot Junction to be here, and they want a photo of her because this is the last time they might see her? As also mentioned ensure that they understand that while you will do your best, you cannot PROMISE anything!

this was posted a while back and I snagged it.
seems like a pretty good checklist.

$weddingchecklist.jpg

This is the one that was given to me from our photographer...

Pre-Ceremony Shoot with Groom
Close-ups and Full Length - Alone
With Best Man
Checking your tie and/or finishing up
Getting ready candids
Groom's Details, i.e. boutonniere, tuxes hanging, bottle of cologne, card/gift from bride, etc.
Pre-Ceremony Shoot with Bride

Close-ups and Full Length - Alone
Putting on the finishing touches
Adjusting garter
With Maid of Honor
Bride's Details, i.e. the dress, the shows, the bouquets, makeup, jewelry, card/gift from the groom, etc.
Ceremony
Ushers seating guests and mothers
Bride's Arrival
Processional
Bride being walked down the aisle
Groom waiting at the altar
Bride being given away
Blessings
Exchanging rings
Exchanging vows
Exchanging kiss
Signing marriage license
With officiant
Recessional
In front of the hall after ceremony
Candids outside with guests
Formal Photo Shoot
Bride Alone
Groom Alone
With wedding party
Bride & Groom together - various locations
Hands with wedding rings
Reception Photos
Talking with guests at reception - receiving line
First dance
Cutting the cake
Toasting
Dancing and candids at the reception
Wedding Cake before cutting
Food or desert tables
Organist and/or soloists
DJ
Any decorations that you have spent a lot of time and energy putting together.
Candid photos of everyone at the reception
Photo of the invitation with bouquets, toasting glasses and table centerpieces

Family photos
Bride with Mother & Father
Bride with Siblings (you may want to do individually or as a group)
Bride with Mother, Father and Siblings
Bride with Mother, Father, Siblings, their spouses and children
Bride with Grandparents
Family generation photo including all above (you may want to wait and do this with the groom)
Groom with Mother & Father
Groom with Siblings (you may want to do individually or as a group)
Groom with Mother, Father and Siblings
Groom with Mother, Father, Siblings and their spouses and children
Groom with Grandparents
Family generation photo including all above (you may want to wait and do this with the bride)
Bride, Groom and Bride's Parents
Bride, Groom and Groom's Parents
Bride, Groom and Both Sets of Parents
Bride, Groom and Bride's Grandparents
Bride, Groom and Groom's Grandparents
Bride, Groom and Bride's Siblings
Bride, Groom and Groom's Siblings
Bride, Groom and all Siblings
Bride, Groom and Brides entire family
Bride, Groom and Grooms entire family
Bride, Groom and both families combined

That was supposed to be attached as a PDF. Sorry everyone!!

Ok, you got some pretty positive answers here. I am in the Google it camp since there are so many options out there to pick from.

Now be ready to get hammered. Newbies shooting a wedding, let alone a friends wedding can and have taken some heat from members in the past. So pull on your big kid panties and be ready.

My take on this is that if it's one of my best friends I don't want to be taking photographs, I want to enjoy and join in on the celebration of their new life together. Taking the pictures tosses that out the window.

Good luck.

my first thought...

Hello pro's
I have been really into photography for a few years, and even run a buisness as a fine and street art photography and some product photography, and a lot of sports. My best friend is getting married and they asked me to be the wedding photographer. I am confident in my equipment and skill, I just do not know what shots to get, can anyone give me a list of go to shots.

I wanna see a website.

Hello pro's

I wanna see a website.

What do you mean

Hello pro's

I wanna see a website.

What do you mean

Exactly what I said. I want to see your website... your work... your portfolio.

If your going to be the photographer for your best friends wedding be sure that both you and your best friend understand that if you mess up your probably no longer going to be friends at all because it's things are going to be EXTREMELY AWKWARD every time you see him or his wife.

If both you and your best friend are ok with that being a possible outcome (and the chances of that outcome are higher because you have never photographed a wedding) then go ahead and photograph the wedding.

If your going to be the photographer for your best friends wedding be sure that both you and your best friend understand that if you mess up your probably no longer going to be friends at all because it's things are going to be EXTREMELY AWKWARD every time you see him or his wife. If both you and your best friend are ok with that being a possible outcome (and the chances of that outcome are higher because you have never photographed a wedding) then go ahead and photograph the wedding.

Seems like he's never even photographed people, let alone a wedding... But I only dug so far.

Hence why I'm asking to see a website/portfolio. Maybe I'm wrong and just didn't look long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back