&^%$#$ Update To LR & PS

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I finally figured out why PS had slowed to a crawl after last week's update. Somehow the update had reset my preferences. Once I put everything back it seems to be back to speed. Today I started editing a new series of shots in LR. It started becoming sluggish almost immediately. Same as PS my preferences had been changed. Never had this happen before

So I finally figured out why PS had slowed to a crawl after last week's update. Somehow the update had reset my preferences. Once I put everything back it seems to be back to speed. Today I started editing a new series of shots in LR. It started becoming sluggish almost immediately. Same as PS my preferences had been changed. Never had this happen before

Out of curiosity what preferences do you change that affect speed?

In PS I allow it to use 62% of ram, the update had dropped it to 40%. Drop history levels back to 14. Couple others that I can't remember now, as I've already turned off the computer, but I'll check settings tomorrow and post.

In PS I allow it to use 62% of ram, the update had dropped it to 40%. Drop history levels back to 14. Couple others that I can't remember now, as I've already turned off the computer, but I'll check settings tomorrow and post.

Thanks! I wasn’t even aware I could change those settings!

Click on Edit > Preferences > Performance.
While you're at it, under Performance, set your Scratch Disks.

@Destin sorry I was really tired last night. Which program were you inquiring about LR or PS?

Couple comments on LR that added to the frustration. In trying to verify if LR was running in 64 bit, Adobe documentation says if it is you will see "x64" in the title bar. Mine didn't show:madass: That led to a wasted hour only to find that it ony applied to version 4&5 (Which included 32bit & 64 bit). Version 6 was 64bit only. Adobe forgot to make notations of that in the documentation. So if you're running version 4 or 5 check to verify you are running the 64 bit version (assuming you have a 64bit machine).

LR leverages the graphics card to speed up the detail view in the Develope module, and full view in Library module. The latest version only supports one card, the download was suppose to be seamless, but apparently it got confused, as it had "unchecked" use graphic processor ( edit >preferences>performance). Night and day difference.

Update to the 2nd paragraph above^^^^ still an issue, when I close and reopen LR it's unchecking the box. I'm getting conflicting information in documentation. One says it only applies to 4k monitors, but yet I can check the box and it provides significant improvement on my non 4k monitor. Can't get through to Adobe as they are closed for holiday until Tuesday:BangHead:

Update to the 2nd paragraph above^^^^ still an issue, when I close and reopen LR it's unchecking the box. I'm getting conflicting information in documentation. One says it only applies to 4k monitors, but yet I can check the box and it provides significant improvement on my non 4k monitor. Can't get through to Adobe as they are closed for holiday until Tuesday:BangHead:

Have you tried a clean install of LR? It sounds like something is corrupted, I've never had issues like you're reporting.

And I was inquiring about LR, but I think I already answered my own question.

I need to contact Adobe on Tuesday, but that may be the ultimate solution, or restore back to the point before the update.

And another update on LR. According to the Adobe user forums, it seems that LR gets like molasses the more you use adjustment brushes, and radial filters???? Responses from Adobe says they're aware of the problem, and suggests using PS for heavy editing. WTH???? That's just dumb.

One thing I did find was to increase the Camera Raw Cache (Edit>preferences>performance) I've upped it to 30 GB which so far seems to be helping some. Adobe was even recommending upwards of 80 GB for heavy editing.

And another update on LR. According to the Adobe user forums, it seems that LR gets like molasses the more you use adjustment brushes, and radial filters???? Responses from Adobe says they're aware of the problem, and suggests using PS for heavy editing. WTH???? That's just dumb.

One thing I did find was to increase the Camera Raw Cache (Edit>preferences>performance) I've upped it to 30 GB which so far seems to be helping some. Adobe was even recommending upwards of 80 GB for heavy editing.

I’ve noticed that, too. I’ve been doing a lot more work with the adjustment brushes in LR (my catalog stays so much neater when I’m not unnecessarily sending something to PS). Granted, I’m working on a 2 year old 15” MBP but I’ve been having to wait for the effects to show up after I apply them. It’s super annoying when you’re trying to use a soft brush and multiple passes.

Granted, I’m working on a 2 year old 15” MBP but I’ve been having to wait for the effects to show up after I apply them. It’s super annoying when you’re trying to use a soft brush and multiple passes.

Try going to 1:1 view or heaven forbid a 3:1 and using multiple brushes, and a radial filter. I could go get a cup of coffee while it was thinking. To early to tell for sure as I've tried so many things that died in use, but the increase in Camera Raw cache may be helping.

I quite often use multiple brushes in LR, along with filters. Definatley slows it down but it's not unuseable for me, though it does delay the application. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but it sounds like backing up the catalogue then doing a fresh install may help

Most reactions

Back