Updated "work"

cindyg2024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I frequented this website a while back, then it was blocked at work (oopsie) and I just haven't been on here. I have been working a little on photography between then and now. Here is some of my recent "work". Everything is completely unedited! I am still VERY new, and have never had any lessons or anything, so I appreciate any and ALL feedback! Thanks!

1) My daughter - she wants to do modeling
IMGP9120.jpg

2) My daughter and step-daughter
IMGP9096.jpg

3) My best friend's German Short Haired Pointer
IMGP9116.jpg

4) My baby lab - 6 months old
IMGP8736.jpg

5) My oldest lab - 8 years old - still a big puppy (at heart)
IMGP9091.jpg

6) My best friend's daughter - venturing into "danger"
IMGP8760.jpg

The people pictures are good, but the animal pictures, maybe try cleaning the crust from the eyes before taking pictures just to make the animals more pleasing to look at. I just wanted to hurry up and not look at the crusty dog eye boogies that it was so distracting to the actual work.

I agree with KmH, Fill Flash would help these quite a bit. I think you doing well with the compostition and posing.

If your camera is in auto-area for focus, I would set it to where you select the focus location (if your camera allows) and place that point on one of the eyes. The eyes appear slightly soft in a couple of the images. After the above, in post processing a slight adjustment to levels and maybe contrast.

Lovely images, I just thought I would point out some of the things I thought would help. Welcome back to the forum! :)

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind, I spent a couple minutes playing with the dog.
Levels, Shadows/Highlights, Sharpening, Cloning:

BEFORE:
p711379367-3.jpg

AFTER:
p716423603-3.jpg

BEFORE:
p711379367-3.jpg

AFTER:
p716423603-3.jpg

..... cleaning up the eye boogies! much better!

Thanks for the comments and for the editing. As i stated, no editing has been done on any photos at all, as I do not know how to properly edit pictures at this time. I would LOVE to have a fill flash, but since this is a hobby at the moment, I have to watch my spending.

I agree with the comment on the eye boogies on the dogs too, but they were completely "spur of the moment" shots - they were not planned at all, just captured while taking pictures of other things. Hopefully when I learn to edit, I can clean up quite a few of my pictures.

Now, when you say the eyes are "soft" and need to be sharpened, what can I do when taking the picture to help that? My daughter wants to try and do some modeling, so we need to put together a portfolio for her, and I would like to take some pictures myself, instead of putting out money for several photo shoots.

I would LOVE to have a fill flash, but since this is a hobby at the moment, I have to watch my spending.

You can use the built in flash and use a diffuser with it, won't be so bad. I haven't bought a diffuser yet but I've found that a little "hood" of tissue paper over the flash can help - crude, yes.. but it's better than straight on-board flash.

EDIT: also with the exposure compensation dialed down a stop or two...

BEFORE:
p711379367-3.jpg

AFTER:
p716423603-3.jpg

..... cleaning up the eye boogies! much better!
I would also try pulling back some of the blue in that dogs coat. This is often needed when playing around with black in PP.

Now, when you say the eyes are "soft" and need to be sharpened, what can I do when taking the picture to help that? My daughter wants to try and do some modeling, so we need to put together a portfolio for her, and I would like to take some pictures myself, instead of putting out money for several photo shoots.

Use the focus point selector and put it on the eye, that will help ensure the eyes are the sharpest thing in the image. The lens you are using may make a difference too. Many lenses can produce images on the soft side when shot at their largest aperture opening. So setting your aperture to a smaller size by one or two stops can help. It really depends on your lens.

Often digital images need to be sharpened in post a little bit. My guess is most people that process their images do some amount of sharpening. In the case of the black dog, I applied some sharpening and it made a difference. So, placing the focus point on the eye, and some sharpening in post processing will make a big difference, I think.

Most reactions

Back