Upgrade camera first or glass?

alejandraw.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently I have a Canon 20D, 50mm 1.4 and 18 55mm and for sure am looking to get a 24 70mm, should I start getting better glass or upgrade my 20D to a 7D or 5DMkII??? Gracias!:blushing:

Well, what are you gonna shoot? Need a wide angle or a normal or telephoto?
What focal length are you wanting? Aperture range?
What kind of features are you looking for in a camera? What size sensor?

The kit lens on the 7D isn't half bad, but if you have the $$ for the 5D, I would get the 7D and a 24-70mm f/2.8 L.

I currently do portraits.. but have been asked to do some weddings recently! I know that equipment is crazy expensive and have researched the best "wedding lens" and overall ive read its the 24 70.. so for a starter for weddings what would you recommend?

Im pretty sure that this time the upgrade should be in the camera. You'd be going from 8 MP to 18 from the 7D. I still dont know how much a difference it would make, but.... it must be something... >_>

If you wanna do weddings, is the 20D handles noise pretty good?

if not i would upgrade to a better body and rent the 24-70 as needed untill you can afford it. the paycheck from a couple weddings should be enought to cover your expense for the wedding and a brand new 24-70

In your case, I would say upgrade the body first. First off, I own a 20D,and have since it was the hot,new Canon. I shot it as recently as two nights ago. I still use it for casual snaps and flash work where I want modest file size, and a small,light body and need only moderate ISO settings. But the fact is, the 20D has a lousy, small LCD review screen, a very loud, tinny-sounding shutter that is exceptionally annoying (think aluminum softball bat hitting softball: TINK! TINK! TINK!), and pretty poor higher-ISO performance. The 20D takes a big performance hit moving from ISO 400 to 800, and the hit moving to 1600 is really significant on the 20D. It has no fractional, incremental ISO levels either...

The biggest handicap I think is the poor LCD screen when there's a need to review a shot for critical focus ascertainment...the LCD on the 20D is pretty lame. All in all, there are two dozen or more Canon and Nikon cameras that out-perform the 20D, especially at higher ISO levels. I think getting a significantly better-performing body would be a good option for you. I honestly think the T1i or T2i would out-perform the 20D for you.

I have the 24-70mm f/2.8L, love it!

If you have the coin, the 70-200mm f/2.8L is a must for weddings and portraits. The f/4 is half the price, but of course, you don't get the versatility of the f/2.8. Either way, a telephoto zoom is useful in both wedding and portrait applications.

So which one would you recommend, since I have the option to upgrade and dont want any of the rebels, would a 7D be the best choice? or is it worth the extra money for the 5DMkII??

And thank you Derrel, yes my 20D is terrible! LOL Ive just heard that sometimes getting the glass first is the best way to go, but my 20D is so out dated that you are right, I need to upgrade body first !

Since I don't shoot professionally, I can't justify the almost $1000 difference between the 7D and 5D.

The 7D is no slouch though, so don't feel like you're missing out if you don't get the 5D. Since I bought the 7D, that tells you how I feel on the subject. :)

Good glass is forever. Camera's come and go -- and depreciate.

I'll never forget what an older, award winning New York Times photographer once told me when I lived in New York City: "Screw the fancy cameras; invest in good glass."

I live by that.

i think getting a glass that can perform on lit lighting will be much better than getting a body.. that's just my opinion. :)

The big difference between the 5D/5DM2 and the 20D/7D is that the 5D and 5DM2 are fullframe camera bodies whilst your 20D and the 7D are crop sensor. This has a big impact on your field of view.

Now looking at portraits and weddings alone the 5D original (second hand or reconditioned now) or the 5DM2 are the camera bodies of choice by many for their high ISO ranges and the fullframe angle of view.

A lot of what go you for will depend on your budget and how long you have to save for. My recomendation for a wedding and over all portrait focus would be to go for a 24-70mm f2.8 as you've already found out and either a 5D or a 5DM2 if your budget will stretch that far.
That will give you a very solid working base for wedding work - you can then consider (as budget and your shooting style allows) adding items such as a speedlite flash (eg 580EX2) and additional lenses

Most reactions

Back