Upgrade challenge - NIKON

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What to do...what to do?

Ok, with the release of the D300s it's time to unload my D200 backup and either get a D300s or D700 and use my D300 as back up....however...here is the delima.....what direction should I go?

Heres the problem, limited budget and I would only be able to get the camera body without any new glass...although I already have a good cache of lenses, although they are DX....see what I'm saying? I'm really trying to move into the FX side of the spectrum. Here is my DX lens stock pile

17-55 2.8 Nikkor
70-200 2.8 Nikkor
50mm 1.8 prime nikkor
90mm Tamrom Macro 2.8
18-55 3.5/5.8 kit

Can a D700 & D300 combo really work? Here is what I was thinking....get the D700 and a FX 17-55 or 24-70 FX lens, contingent upon selling my D200 AND 17-55mm 2.8 at a pretty good price.

What would you do?

Go with D700 and 1 FX 24-70 and a D300 as backup with a 50mm prime 70-200mm 2.8 etc.

Or

Just go with a new D300s?

Tough one. Since you have the D300 already I would probably not buy a D300s and keep the D300. They're practically the same. I would opt for the D700. But what sucks is that while your DX glass will work on the D700 it's not the best solution as you know.

What I would do? Buy the D700 if that's the direction you want to go and get that 24-70. Slowly work up to a FX lens collection by selling your DX glass and replacing it with FX glass - which will work on both.

Tough one. Since you have the D300 already I would probably not buy a D300s and keep the D300. They're practically the same. I would opt for the D700. But what sucks is that while your DX glass will work on the D700 it's not the best solution as you know.

What I would do? Buy the D700 if that's the direction you want to go and get that 24-70. Slowly work up to a FX lens collection by selling your DX glass and replacing it with FX glass - which will work on both.

This is what I was thinking too...I kinda got the hint from Nikon with the release of the D300s that DX is going to be increasingly geared toward the consumer and any innovation as far as photo technology is going to happen in the FX dept.....I'm thinking the D700 is going to be a better investment....just have to move into the FX world very smartly and carefully without breaking a small budget. The good thing is, is that my 17-55mm 2.8 DX retained it's value well over time :)

The 50mm & 70-200mm will work on the FF D700 without a hitch. idk about the Tammy. The D700 will accept DX lenses, but with a significant reduction in MP (5MP) and reduced FoV, so it really is a moot point and should be avoided. IMO, the D300 / D700 is a great combo. They are essentiall the same body and the sensor and a few other diddies are all that separate them. You get the extremely useful high ISO of the D700 and the reach from the D300. They can use the same grip also (MB-D10) and battery (EN-EL3e). The learning curve is minimal.

IMO, Nikon's DX marketplace will only get better and the D300/s is on the cutting edge for Pro's wanting that format.

Well, if you want to go to the FX format, then you have to move that direction,right? There's a big difference in the way FF and DX render things. I shoot both, and think that FX is better in low light, due to the huge increase in image capture size of FX over DX format. Low-megapixel FX cameras (5D, D700) can use average to mediocre glass to good advantage, so if you buy a D700, you do not have to have 'awesome' glass to make good pictures.

The value of an 18-55 kit lens is so,so low as to not make it even worth considering as somthing to hold you back from the qualities that FX format brings with it, and considering the recent price hikes we've had, you ought to be able to offload the 17-55 DX fro close to what you payed for it, minus a reasonable 'usage fee' in dollars and all the great images it has already made for you. Your 50, 90,and 70-200 will all be more-useful on FX than they were on DX,so basically, I'd just start looking around for a good deal on the D700 that you really want.

If your wanting to move to full frame for the future. I say skip the D300s. To me the new features are not that big of a deal to get it (have 2- D300's now). Next camera will be a full framer for me. Only difference is I started with Nikon film AF so I have all but 2 lenses that are FF compatable.​

If you can get the D700 and a 24-70 f/2.8. I say thats the way to go. Remember if your a little tight on money. For the price of a new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. You could get a used 35-70 f/2.8D and a new 80-200 f/2.8D for the D700. Both are very very good lenses. And later on when you can afford AF-S or G 2.8's you can sell them. But in the mean time you will have very good lenses and good range of coverage for the D700.​

I have both the 35-70 and 80-200 2nd gen and they are still top notch with the D300's I have now.​

Unless you are doing birding and need long lenses, go with the D700. With every use of that camera, I am just loving it more and more. Now, I am into doing a lot of weddings and e-sessions (3 weddings from July and 4 weddings and 3 e-sessions in August!), so that may be why the 70-200 on the D700 is way more than enough range for my needs, even from the back of the church at 200mm.

It depends on what you want to photograph, I suppose.

Thanks everyone the helpfull input....

Something I didn't think about...is....if I sell my current DX glass to upgrade to the D700 and get some Fx glass have a D300 combo...what happens if the D700 goes down?

Need a creative contingency plan....i'm thinking I'll have to get two 50mm 1.8 primes each in DX and FX just in case all else fails

Hmmmm

Something I didn't think about...is....if I sell my current DX glass to upgrade to the D700 and get some Fx glass have a D300 combo...what happens if the D700 goes down?

Need a creative contingency plan....i'm thinking I'll have to get two 50mm 1.8 primes each in DX and FX just in case all else fails

Hmmmm

What? I'm really confused... If the D700 goes down you use your D300, no? Why would you need two 50mm primes? They work of DX and FX, not to mention I don't think there is such a thing as a 50mm DX prime...? :confused:

Hmmmm

If selling DX lenses to get FX lenses is an option. Then there will be no future issue. As the FX lenses will work on just about anything Nikon. They will work absolutely fine on the D300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back