Upgrade from Canon 500D

cfaulds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a Canon 500D at the moment, and was wondering what the best upgrade from it would be.

I was thinking either the Canon 7D or 5d mark II, the 7d for more action photography, and 5d mark II for more landscape/portrait photography.

I don't really know anything about Nikon either, so is there a better alternative?

Please approach this as if you havent already got a camera (I'm not looking to upgrade... Im simply just wondering and this could help someone else out)

Thanks

I depends what type of photography needs to be done, and the budget available for the upgrade.

The "best upgrade" would be to the approrpiate 1D series camera.

You're already aware of the the capabilities of the two cams you've mentioned, so first off, decide what you'll be doing more of, portrait/landscape or action. Second, realize that either of these will require an upgrade in glass to get the best out of them, and EF-S lenses aren't going to work for the 5DII.

You're already aware of the the capabilities of the two cams you've mentioned, so first off, decide what you'll be doing more of, portrait/landscape or action. Second, realize that either of these will require an upgrade in glass to get the best out of them, and EF-S lenses aren't going to work for the 5DII.

Are you saying use the L-series?

The lens I currently have (signature), are they good lens'?

1d series is too expensive for someone like me who just does photography as a 'hobbie' though probably more of a 'passion'

The Nikon D700 would be my suggestion for pro-level autofocusing and robust build, but with a price lower than a Canon 1D series body. It would be a good camera for action and portraiture, since full-frame is best for portraiture, and the autofocus system Nikon has in the D700 is quite capable. The Canon 7D is a nice camera in the 1.6x APS-C size sensor, but it does seem to have a lot of problems with the lenses Canon currently has...the sensor is small and the pixel density is so high that it shows every flaw in lenses mounted to it, and Canon cannot yet do in-camera chromatic aberration reduction like Nikon can, so, the 7D's 17.8 MP sensor puts you right back at needing absolutytely top-shelf L-series lenses to leverage that small sensor.

I dunno...there's a lot of cameras on the market. Only you can decide what you want to optimize for--portraiture or action, FF vs 12.6 or 1.5x, etc,etc.

The Canon 7D is a nice camera in the 1.6x APS-C size sensor, but it does seem to have a lot of problems with the lenses Canon currently has...the sensor is small and the pixel density is so high that it shows every flaw in lenses mounted to it, and Canon cannot yet do in-camera chromatic aberration reduction like Nikon can, so, the 7D's 17.8 MP sensor puts you right back at needing absolutytely top-shelf L-series lenses to leverage that small sensor.

I dunno...there's a lot of cameras on the market. Only you can decide what you want to optimize for--portraiture or action, FF vs 12.6 or 1.5x, etc,etc.

I have recently purchased the 7D. One of the benefits will be if one has access (such as LR3) to the lens correction feature. With a mouse clik, a lot of those issues are greatly reduced if not eliminated. There is even manual control that allows more control of the corrections.

I will say that until yesterday, I have only shot with the L lenses on my 7D. Yesterday, I shot with a non-L lens so lets see what the "mouse clik" is able to do. ;)

In regards to the camera choice....you will have many cameras to choose from and them finally come to a conclusion as to which one you chose. I will say that either Nikon or Canon is a great choice. ;)

The Canon 7D is a nice camera in the 1.6x APS-C size sensor, but it does seem to have a lot of problems with the lenses Canon currently has...the sensor is small and the pixel density is so high that it shows every flaw in lenses mounted to it, and Canon cannot yet do in-camera chromatic aberration reduction like Nikon can, so, the 7D's 17.8 MP sensor puts you right back at needing absolutytely top-shelf L-series lenses to leverage that small sensor.

I have recently purchased the 7D. One of the benefits will be if one has access (such as LR3) to the lens correction feature. With a mouse clik, a lot of those issues are greatly reduced if not eliminated. There is even manual control that allows more control of the corrections.

I will say that until yesterday, I have only shot with the L lenses on my 7D. Yesterday, I shot with a non-L lens so lets see what the "mouse clik" is able to do. ;)

In regards to the camera choice....you will have many cameras to choose from and them finally come to a conclusion as to which one you chose. I will say that either Nikon or Canon is a great choice. ;)
This is most definately true. LR2 was already decent at this (fixing CA issues), but LR3 makes it so much easier. I own a 7D with only one L lens (and three non-L lenses). I still get minor CA issues shooting super bright contrasty scenes at wide apertures, but it's fixed with one mouseclick in LR3. I'm sure Darrel has probably read about this issue very much but has never actually used a 7D in practice.

That said, the only real worthwhile upgrade on the Canon side of things would require a replacement of most of your lenses. The 7D because it will yeild only mediocre results with entry level lenses and the 5DII because the EF-S lenses won't even mount properly. It depends on how much you want to spend. Either path will be pretty expensive.

With the 7D, its easy to suggest a 17-55 f/2.8 IS, but the new EF-S 15-85 is also very good. The 5DII would shine with either 24-70 2.8 or 24-105 IS. One of the many 70-200L lenses would do well on either.

Last edited:
I have a 500D as well and I've decided that my next upgrade will be a full frame camera. 7D is just not worth it in my opinion as it's the same thing except with more bells and whistles.

I guess it depends on what you're shooting though?

I edited my post above while you posted that.... But anyway, yes it highly depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting fast action, sports, or require quick AF, twice as fast burst rate, and a longer reach out of lenses, the 7D is vastly better than the 5DII. But the 5DII has the adantages of a big full frame sensor, huge resolution, and better low light ISO performance. After using someone elses 5DII to try and shoot low light, close action though, I got absolutely furious at the slow, nearly-useless AF (it probably didn't help that I had the terrible-to-focus 50mm f/1.2). But for controlled studio settings, the 5DII is vastly better than the 7D. I made my choice based on my needs.

That being said, the D700 from Nikon seems to be a jack-of-all-trades camera. Unlike Canon, who focuses their higher end cameras in a specific direction (speed or studio), Nikon sticks down the middle for all cameras except the D3s/D3x. Not to say which is better or worse (and I still wish Canon made a full-frame speed camera), but just something to be aware of. That may fit your needs better than a more specialized camera.

Are you saying use the L-series?

The lens I currently have (signature), are they good lens'?

1d series is too expensive for someone like me who just does photography as a 'hobbie' though probably more of a 'passion'

You don't necessarily have to go all the way up to L lenses. Canon makes some prosumer (mid grade) glass that comes very close to L glass for much less money. $400-$600 range. Sigma and others also make some great glass at a fraction of the cost of L glass. What you have is consumer glass, and it's really not that good.

Well I have taken more landscapes/family photos (portraits) than action shots, but I do like my action shots. I think my next camera will be the Canon 5D mark II - I feel giddy just thinking about it.

But Im only 17 and Ive already spent just over £1000 on my camera gear!

But if I sell all of it (Both my lenses are ef-s except for the 50mm. So if i sell all that, then i will only have to pay around £1000 for the camera (only.. !))

However, I would then just be stuck with a 50mm, and even though its a very good lens (and only £80!), it doesnt give me much flexibility and so I would have to buy another lens costing a few hundred more.

I got my 500D at xmas this year, and so next year, how much dyu think the 5d mark II will be? rough guess.. AND they may release a new camera which may be a better option

Well I have taken more landscapes/family photos (portraits) than action shots, but I do like my action shots. I think my next camera will be the Canon 5D mark II - I feel giddy just thinking about it.

But Im only 17 and Ive already spent just over £1000 on my camera gear!

But if I sell all of it (Both my lenses are ef-s except for the 50mm. So if i sell all that, then i will only have to pay around £1000 for the camera (only.. !))

However, I would then just be stuck with a 50mm, and even though its a very good lens (and only £80!), it doesnt give me much flexibility and so I would have to buy another lens costing a few hundred more.

I got my 500D at xmas this year, and so next year, how much dyu think the 5d mark II will be? rough guess.. AND they may release a new camera which may be a better option

OK, now knowing all of this, here are my suggestions. Do you really need a pro cam like the 5D, or is it just gear lust?

Second, keep the cart behind the horse and learn everything you can with your 500D, and upgrade your glass along the way. When you can justify the expense of a prosumer or pro cam, you'll have the glass and the experience/skill to use it to it's fullest. Great glass will also bring out the most in your Rebel.

^Having learned that, I'll have to agree. You can get some great shots out of a Rebel/xxxD with good lenses and/or good technique. I had a Rebel XTi (400D) for several years and took some great shots with it. I only upgraded once I learned the limitations of that body and what I wanted my camera to do within my budget.

OK, now knowing all of this, here are my suggestions. Do you really need a pro cam like the 5D, or is it just gear lust?

Second, keep the cart behind the horse and learn everything you can with your 500D, and upgrade your glass along the way. When you can justify the expense of a prosumer or pro cam, you'll have the glass and the experience/skill to use it to it's fullest. Great glass will also bring out the most in your Rebel.

Definately more 'gear lust' haha

I definately agree with you here. I was getting a bit excited earlier :lmao: but my 'great glass', do you mean the L series? Im guessing my current glass is kinda average?

Would an L series lens make a big difference? And in what way?

^ Again, you don't necessarily need L glass. Canon's got some great prosumer glass that is vastly superior to the EF-S lenses and any of their other consumer glass. Your 50mm 1.8, however, is very good optically, but has problems in other areas. Sigma's 35 and 50mm 1.4's are exceptional lenses, rivaling or exceeding L glass in some areas at a fraction of the price. Tamron and Tokina also make some great glass, tho I personnaly don't own any. At some focal lengths or ranges, L glass might be the best option, but not always. Decide what you want for lenses, do your homework on them, then ask people here for suggestions/opinions.

Better glass will give you sharper pics SOOC, as well as better color and contrast, less CA, distortion, etc. Bokeh will also be creamier, but at that price range, all lenses have great bokeh.

Most reactions

Back